Free Simandoa (Extinct in the Wild!)

Okay, here's the deal. I acquired a breeding colony of these roaches a year or so ago with the understanding that I would breed them and distribute them to the US hobby. Their scientific name is Simandoa conserfariam, with the latter meaning "to conserve" and it is in that spirit that I have initially offered them to our members here: Orin, Mr. Crackerpants, Zephyr and blatta70.

What's the big deal? These roaches (originally) came from a mine in Africa that was apparently mined for bauxite and they are not known from any other place. Their one habitat is gone, meaning that captivity is the only place they exist.

Anyway, I have another lot of 8 of them that I want to send to somebody. So, we're going to let the membership here decide who should get the next batch of them. I am specifically requesting that no member here submits their own name as a candidate. If you submit your own name or plead on your own behalf in any way, you'll be disqualified not only from getting this next batch, but quite likely have your own name moved down the list a rung (or ladder) or two. What I am requesting here is for our membership on this forum to form a consensus for who is mostly likely to do a fantastic job in helping us to perpetuate the existence of this species. Who will keep them alive and share them with others?

Sorry, but this offer is only open to US members of this forum. I can't ship internationally.

Also, please, nobody send me PM's to ask for these or to be on a list for them. When the next batch comes available I will be offering them in similar fashion. I will be covering shipping costs, as well. Here's a video I shot of the species when I first received them.

I nominate island reptiles, I know him personally and he is frequently a vendor at reptile shows where inverts are also sold so once many individuals are bred a few can be passed on to others to keep the population in captivity growing. He has various roach species already so this would be a fantastic addition!

I was going to suggest keith but i like his idea it seems like island would be the best way to establish and distribute them into the hobby eventually.

P.s. sorry about the pm's and emails regarding these guys

No worries, S. Hartzog. I don't recall your emailing me about them. So many people have and between the three forums (and others) I am totally lost on who's who most of the time.

I'll check back here in a day or two. I'm off to hopefully collect more Parcoblatta americana in the morning!

I would go with Island reptiles too!

I'll check back here in a day or two. I'm off to hopefully collect more Parcoblatta americana in the morning!

Do you plan on selling these guys? It's one of the 4 species of Parcoblattas that I still haven't got in possession so I would love to get these guys from you. Can you help me with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry I have some extras though it would seem nobody wants them unless they're free :)

There's a ton of interest from me, but not enough funds or enough space for yet another enclosure. Hoping that may change soon, as I would love to have them! Believe me, there was some major cursing here the day you posted they were available, since if you had listed them even a month earlier I could have done it. :P

• 2 months later...