Pumpkin?

Wolfie

For obvious reasons, I was wondering if it's okay to feed pumpkin flesh to hissers? If so it would be an awesome source of food for them for a while, I could freeze some chunks of flesh so I can give it to them later in the year too! :D

I feed all sorts of squash to my roaches. Pumpkins, the ones breed fo carving, are edible but no one really uses them for food because there's so little flesh inside the pumpkin. You could even save the flesh and cook it up for youself if you wanted. Winter squashes and pumpkin tastes good in stews, though the large pumpkins would contribute more to texture/fiber than anything.

They are good to feed to roaches but I'd avoid the stringy fibre inside the pumpkin. They do grow mold inside humid containers though so you should keep an eye on them before they mold or grow putrid. Remember, roaches are omnivores, they will eat almost anything as long as it isn't toxic. (insecticides excluded obviously, haha)

Thanks you guys! I normally would do trial and error, but my nymphs seem so fragile, better safe than sorry! I change their food every day or two anyway. I think I'm going to take some for the hissers, and some for pumpkin cupcakes for me! :D

Glad it's not just me!

I sorta wish my nymphs were adults, because those huge roaches creepy-crawling about on pumpkins would be a great photo opportunity as well! :P

Just one Halloween I want it to be warm enough here so I can decorate for Trick or Treat with my hissers. Buy some full sized candybars and put them in a dish (greased on the outside so there's no contamination from the roaches) nd put that dish inside a clear tank that's full of the big guys. We generally get a lot of little kids and younger moms. It would be great.... :D

Thank you for the idea on the pumpkin! They're always for sale around here the day after Halloween for cheap. I'll have to grab one for a few bucks and freeze it to use throughout the year. :) Always love cost effective food ideas!

Just one Halloween I want it to be warm enough here so I can decorate for Trick or Treat with my hissers. Buy some full sized candybars and put them in a dish (greased on the outside so there's no contamination from the roaches) nd put that dish inside a clear tank that's full of the big guys. We generally get a lot of little kids and younger moms. It would be great.... :D

Thank you for the idea on the pumpkin! They're always for sale around here the day after Halloween for cheap. I'll have to grab one for a few bucks and freeze it to use throughout the year. :) Always love cost effective food ideas!

That's such an awesome idea! I wonder if there's a way to rig up temporary heating... just for a few hours, so they can go out by the door...

If it's possible, when the nymphs are adults I'm going to set up a halloween display tank to show off to trick-or-treaters, and get a teeny tiny pumpkin so they can creep about on it and generally look scarily impressive! And I bet one of those skull-shaped fish tank ornaments would look awesome too! Argh! Grow little scuttly things! Grow!