HELLO EVERYBODY! IM NEW HERE AND, I AM LOOKING FOR ADVANCED CARE FOR ANY ROACH SPECIES? I HAVE; BLABERUS, BLAPTICA, HISSER, B. KENYA, IM HAVING TROBLE WITH MY ATORPOS :unsure:!!!! IF YOU HAVE THIS 1 PLEASE HELP? :wacko::ph34r::angry: THANKS

WELL FOR A NEW ROACHER IT CAN BE HARD TO FIND CARE FOR DEFFERNT SP. I WAS KINDA ASKING PEOPLE HOW THEY KEEP THEIR STUFF? I THINK PEOPLE KEEP DIFFERENT AMOUNTS, MAYBE SOME ONE HAS A SHORT CUT OR A COOL WAY TO HOUSE THEM?? EVERYONE SAYS THEY JUST THROW FOOD ON THE FLOOR OR CHEAP THIS OR THIS AND THAT, AND THATS FINE AND ALL. I JUST KNOW SOME ONE HAS A GOOD IDEA? WELL ITS WEIRD MOST PEOPLE KEEP DUBIAS COMPLTELY DRY WHEN THEY COME FROM SOUTH AMERICA, WITCH IS NOT DRY MAYBE PART?

Some roaches that are very hardy can take dry or humid environments. G. portentosa can take either humid or dry. My hissers are in a natural setup though (humidity, soil, natural hides). I have had a few nymphs grow up in a cricket enclosure. ^_^ I house mine in display cages (soil, leaf litter, bark hides). Display setups can be expensive. Alternatively, some people house roaches in sterlite bins with egg flats. Hope this helps. :)

WELL WHAT ABOUT STORAGE BINS, WHAT CAN I USE TO POKE HOLES WITH?

Keep good ventilation to keep fungus from growing. Blaberus atropus might not like it dry but mine have lived in a dry net cage and got a few mismolts. Not bad mismolts but some have slightly crippled wings and some have worse. Blaberus atropus like to borrow. Rotting wood I guess is good for all kinds of roaches. Or maybe it is just the fungus growing on the rotting wood. Some fungus I think could kill the whole colony of roaches. I had some green mold grow on a piece of wood and just about all the roaches in the container died.

Thinking about it, I actually liked to keep the lid on my bin open for ventilation, if you have flighted roaches or climbing roaches then I recommend buying a pair of women's tights, tying the legs and cutting them off, and then stretching them over the top. Not even my biggest hisser could get out of that!

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS. THERE ALL GOOD IDEAS. PLEASE KEEP HEM COME.

HELLO,

I JUST GOT SOME P.FEMAPTERUS, THEY ARE NICE, EAT WELL, SMALL, FEEDER. I HAVE SMALL FROGS/TAODS SOMETIMES AND OR SMALL LIZARDS THAT NEED A FEEDER OF TINY SIZE. THEY ARE LIKE MEDIUM KRICKETS? ACTIVE SMALLER THEN SURINAM'S. BUT FOR ME EAT BETTER. IM ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT MY BUGS AND STUFF EATING, AND WHEN I FIND 1 THAT EATS GOOD I DONT WORRY AS MUCH.

The adult domestic crickets are a lot bigger than the adult P. femapterus. For some reason my P. femapterus started getting weak and loosing limes and getting black spots on their bodies (disease?). But after giving them some rotting wood they all became healthy and active during the night. Before the rotting wood they had just dirt in their container with not leaves. Now they eat through the wood and leave sawdust.

HAPPY1892 HOW ARE YOUR ASIABLATTA KYOTENSIS, I WOOD LIKE TO TRY THEM OUT?

HAPPY1892 HOW ARE YOUR ASIABLATTA KYOTENSIS, I WOOD LIKE TO TRY THEM OUT?

I got them not too long ago. First I had somewhere around 25 and they reproduced but most of the nymphs died of some mold in a day and I moved them (happened to my I. deropeltiformis too but I caught more) and they have grown to almost adult now, around 30 I guess. Send PM to ask questions. I might be able to sell them to you for a cheap price when they breed.

THAT SUCKS ABOUT YOUR NYMPHS. ONLY WAY I HAVE FOUND TO KEEP MOLD DOWN, IS TO CLEAN EVERY DAY, IF I CAN BUT LIFE HAPPENS AND THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING BUT I TRY EVERYDAY.

HELLO,

B.PERUVIANUS GROWN UP JUMPED/ FLAPPED OFF MY ARM TODAY, VARY COOL. ALSO B.DISCOIDALIS NYMPH JUMPED , FUNNY AS HELL. ITS VARY COOL TO SEE THIS STUFF FOR THE FIRST TIME! I HAVE A LARGE HISSER THAT DOESNT HISS, IS SHE BROKEN? I SAW SOME WEAR THAT FEMALE HISSERS DONT HISS, IS THIS TRUE? THANKS

D.P. OUT

HELLO,

B.PERUVIANUS GROWN UP JUMPED/ FLAPPED OFF MY ARM TODAY, VARY COOL. ALSO B.DISCOIDALIS NYMPH JUMPED , FUNNY AS HELL. ITS VARY COOL TO SEE THIS STUFF FOR THE FIRST TIME! I HAVE A LARGE HISSER THAT DOESNT HISS, IS SHE BROKEN? I SAW SOME WEAR THAT FEMALE HISSERS DONT HISS, IS THIS TRUE? THANKS

D.P. OUT

Female hissers can hiss but do it less often and if they don't hiss its because they are tame and used to being handled.

THANKS FOR THE FAST REPLY! YEAH SHE WAS IN WITH MY PERUVIANUS,TILL THIS WEEK. THANKS TO ZEPHYR ! NOW SHE IS BACK WITH TWO MED. NYMPHS, AND SHE SHED TODAY OR LAST NIGHT.

Female hissers can hiss but do it less often and if they don't hiss its because they are tame and used to being handled.

I wouldn't say that a roach could be "used to" something, much less that it could be "tame".

I wouldn't say that a roach could be "used to" something, much less that it could be "tame".

Tame wouldn't be the right word, but they do become habituated to certain things and insects do have the capability to learn and remember.. to a degree. My orange heads know where their feeding spots are in their bin and when I mess with the dishes in those spots many will come running out to check for food... prior to me handling or putting any food in the bin. I don't know if they've associated my scent with food or certain movements in the feeding areas.

I haven't seen this behavior in my dubias, though I have seen similar in Parcoblatta spp.

ALL ANIMALS KNOW WHEN THEY ARE HUNGRY, SO LIKE MY CATS AND DOGS KNOW WHEN IM GOING TO FEED THEM. DONT YOU THINK A INSECT THAT HAS BEEN AROUND AS LONG AS ROACHES HAVE WOOD BE ABLE TO HEAR THE DOOR OPEN AND THINK/HOPE THAT YOUR GOING TO FEED THEM, AND SMELL THE GOODIES YOU MY HAVE FOR THEM. SO MAYBE ORANGE HEADS LIKE TO EAT MORE THEN DUBIAS? AND THATS WHY DUBIA DONT LOOK AS HARD FOR FOOD? I COULD BE WRONG.