Possible white Panchlora

Cariblatta

A commenter on this picture said that houses in Brisbane needed to be sprayed to keep the numbers of these down. That basically means that they're at least a semipest and more than plentiful. We need some Ausies to send us some of these and other new species. Everything they have down there looks so exotic.

A commenter on this picture said that houses in Brisbane needed to be sprayed to keep the numbers of these down. That basically means that they're at least a semipest and more than plentiful. We need some Ausies to send us some of these and other new species. Everything they have down there looks so exotic.

This species is actually from Belize (there were also pics from other people in Belize depicting same species so I guess these are native to that place). I think the person who commented on that pic didn't know what species he had in his house.

It would be possible that the species was somehow introduced to Australia; Panchlora nivea are reported in some parts of Florida. It's unlikely, though, and you're probably right that the commenter was confused.

I think the commenter was talking about cockroaches in general.

You're probably right. As much as we might want to assume that people are more educated about our precious roaches than they are; to most people, a lion is a lion, a spider is a spider, and a cockroach is a cockroach.

I am new here in this forum (haven't even introduced myself), but I can confirm this species is entirely white -

Last september I visted in Belize for a workshop and found a female of these white Panchlora sp. (although it is possible this is a different genus). I will see if I have a decent photo of it - and will post later.

I intend to return to Belize for scientific work (on a different group of invertebrates) this time with collecting permits in hand. I cannot wait to collect this beautiful roach and verify which species it is.

I am new here in this forum (haven't even introduced myself), but I can confirm this species is entirely white -

Last september I visted in Belize for a workshop and found a female of these white Panchlora sp. (although it is possible this is a different genus). I will see if I have a decent photo of it - and will post later.

I intend to return to Belize for scientific work (on a different group of invertebrates) this time with collecting permits in hand. I cannot wait to collect this beautiful roach and verify which species it is.

Lucky! Wish I could see this beautiful species in person!

Any chance you'll be able to bring this to the US and establish a culture?

Good suggestion Thomas, I thought about it too - but when I looked closely at the famous Xestoblatta sp. photo I found some differences.

In Panchlora nivea and this unnamed white species, the wings and the pronotum have a wide transparent margin. In addition, the pronotum is oval.

In Xestoblatta sp. it looks like the wing margins are yellow (probably with a very thin transparent part) and the pronotum too has a very thin transparent margin. And the pronotum shape is completely different, it looks almost triangular. The pronotum shape itself might be enough to determine that the white roach does not belong to genus Xestoblatta.

Here are some photos for comparison (not mine):

Panchlora nivea -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/invertsfromhell/5561140543/

White "Panchlora", by the same source in Belize -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickatee/9271669259/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickatee/7143814065/

Xestoblatta sp. -

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5086/5286735400_3ae8bc2827_z.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
:o.... Beautiful! I hope you are successful breeding them! This would be a AWESOME species to have in culture! :)

After a long wait, I can finally say I have a few adults of this adorable species in my colony. They look even better in real life.

Still researching their exact ID.

white-Panchlora-Belize.jpg

What a beautiful roach. I'm a bit jealous to be honest :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I am really enjoying this "ghost" species. Very elegant roach.

A small group:

white-Panchlora-Belize1.jpg

And I believe someone requested a photo of their underside, so here goes -

Male:

white-Panchlora-Belize2.jpg

Female:

white-Panchlora-Belize3.jpg

I didn't really put a lot of effort in these photos, but you can get an idea how they look like.