Chorisoneura texensis

Cariblatta

Cool, how do you care for them? I think the nymphs are quite handsome.

I'm currently keeping them in the same way as Blattella germanica.

As you can see, they are kept in an airtight container with cardboards inside to give shelter. I also place a cotton soaked in water to maintain humidity in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work! Any breeding yet, or were those nymphs born in the colony?

Yes, I think Cariblatta is correct. I have not yet found an adult P. virginica in rotting wood but I find them in leaves during the summer and I do not think I have seen an adult male at lights during the night either but P. uhleriana and the possible caudelli are around the lights. Cariblatta: have you found adult P. virginica at lights or in wood?

Yes, I think Cariblatta is correct. I have not yet found an adult P. virginica in rotting wood but I find them in leaves during the summer and I do not think I have seen an adult male at lights during the night either but P. uhleriana and the possible caudelli are around the lights. Cariblatta: have you found adult P. virginica at lights or in wood?

I've found quite a number of adult female virginicas and have seen 10 or so of males of this species collected under light and brought to Auburn :)

In last summer I also saw an adult female P. uhleriana on the top part of a log in the day time but as I came close she ran under the log (the log was maybe two feet high at the tip so she was far from a place to hide). During the spring I saw a sub-adult female I. deropeltiformis out ontop of a leaf during the daytime and I caught her. I have seen P. uhleriana males walking around Harris Teeter and other places (and maybe the possible caudelli) during the hot daytime of the summer (they were dying). During the night of summer I have found adult male of Parcoblatta uhleriana or the caudelli underneath the eggcrates of the S. lateralis bins I had out (I have not checked much so I have not seen any in the bins during the day). I would find adult male Parcoblatta uhleriana or the caudelli during the summer inside our bathrooms and other rooms.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yay! Let us know how the new setup goes, we need all the information on this species we can get! How exactly are you setting them up this time?