what isopods do you keep?

Hisserdude

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently working with

Armadillidium nasatum, Armadillidium maculatum, Armadillidium vulgare, Cylisticus convexus, Dwarf Gray, Dwarf Purple, Lirceus fontinalis, Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber "Orange", Porcellionides pruinosus,

Trachelipus rathkii "Rainbow", and Trichorhina tomentosa.

I am interested in keeping anything I don't already have, just please pm me. I just can't get enough of these guys.

We keep armadillidium vulgare,a.nasatum,a.depressum.a.pictum.a.pulchellum.androniscus dentiger.trichoniscus pusillus.oniscus asellius.philoscia muscorum.porcellio scaber.p.pruinosus.cylisticus convexus.

We have p.scaber in oranger and red mottled as well as normal grey.

We have a.vulgar in gold mottled .chocalate and normal too.

We have p.muscorum in gold,red,orange and normal

How about some pictures please?

I am currently working with

Armadillidium nasatum, Armadillidium maculatum, Armadillidium vulgare, Cylisticus convexus, Dwarf Gray, Dwarf Purple, Lirceus fontinalis, Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber "Orange", Porcellionides pruinosus,

Trachelipus rathkii "Rainbow", and Trichorhina tomentosa.

I am interested in keeping anything I don't already have, just please pm me. I just can't get enough of these guys.

+1 Yes Pictures please...

Cool! Got a picture?

Below are some pictures of the wild caught isopods I have from here in Rochester, MN. Sorry they are poor quality, and I don't know how to size them to make them fit in the window better.

They are probably something common, nothing special.

101_0151.jpg

101_0152.jpg

101_0153.jpg

I can't tell but it looks like you have a couple different species. Good luck with breeding them! :)

I can't tell but it looks like you have a couple different species. Good luck with breeding them! :)

I assume this comment was made to me, so thanks!

Sorry about the quality of the photos.

Porcellio sp. "Orange"

CSC_4120_zpsab88a341.jpg

Cylisticus convexus

CSC_4136_zps5edcfef9.jpg

Armadillidium maculatum

CSC_4137-Copy_zpsb8b039e4.jpg

CSC_4138_zpsab7e50b0.jpg

A. vulgare 'solid'. I am trying to separate the two forms I have found near me.

CSC_4166_zpsca297765.jpg

A vulgare 'striped'

CSC_4162_zpse7a547fb.jpg

Lirceus fontinalis

DSC_3486_zps71017a0f.jpg

DSC_3488-Copy_zpsf511457c.jpg

Oniscus asellus

IMG_20140514_161142_zps99b7ac53.jpg

Porcellionides pruinosus

IMG_20140514_161158_zps249a8368.jpg

I will try and get pictures of the other species I am working with.

I thought so, but I have some giant solid colored adults. So, I am assuming there are two different variations in this population. I'm just trying to see if I can separate them.

Unless of course they are different species, but I'm pretty sure both are A. vulgare. They were found just north of Atlanta.

I thought so, but I have some giant solid colored adults. So, I am assuming there are two different variations in this population. I'm just trying to see if I can separate them.

Unless of course they are different species, but I'm pretty sure both are A. vulgare. They were found just north of Atlanta.

Yes, the are both vulgare. Good luck! That yellow is very cool :)

I think I found some A. vulgare this past weekend. They were under bags of bark at my in-laws' place. They are so cute when they roll up into little balls!

My 3 year old niece held the bug jar while I looked. She was also intrigued by the garter snake skin we found, and the crickets.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I am new to the hobby and even newer to the forum. I hope I don't offend anyone when I say that I got into keeping isopods as an enrichment/clean up crew/live food source for my hermit crabs. I THINK I have 3 species. I got some Spanish Orange as a gift and the other 2 I collected in my yard here in Columbus, OH. I'd be interested in identifying the "yardopods" as I call them and I have lots of questions but I don't wanna post in the wrong place.

I can't figure out how to attach pics or do the outside link to my Photobucket so here is my album:

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/sachscrabpage/library/Isopods?sort=3&page=1

• 2 months later...

Sorry that I'm a bit late to the game...but I'd just like to say that I, too, have been trying to isolate an A. vulgare "solid" line. I now have two forms of that species (solid and striped/spotted/patterned), although all of my animals of this species are still wild-caught, as I collected most of them this summer. I've had a single solid slate-colored individual since November, and only recently found a couple more. I'm relatively new to isopods, but I love them so far! Easy to keep, and quite interesting in their own right. I started with a small starter culture of Trichorhina I got at a reptile show nearly a year and a half ago...then I realized I really liked them, and started collecting some local stuff. I've been doing a lot of collecting this summer, and I recently purchased several species/varieties from Orin and a local guy I met through the facebook isopods group. My current isopod list stands as follows:

Armadillidium vulgare "solid" (wild collected in NY)

A. vulgare "striped/spotted/patterned" (wild collected in NY)

A. nasatum (wild collected in NY)

A. nasatum "peach pillbugs" (Thanks Orin!)

A. maculatum "Zebra pillbugs" (Thanks Orin!)

Venezillo parvus (Thanks Orin!)

Oniscus asellus (including one aberrant, peach-colored individual I collected last week) (wild collected in NY)

Cylisticus convexus (this might also have some Trachelipus living in the culture... I have yet to go through all the animals and key them out) (wild collected in NY)

Porcellio scaber "solid" (wild collected in NY)

P. scaber "granite" (a mottled tan/grey line I found in my mixed Porcellio culture that I originally thought were P. spinicornis) (wild collected in NY)

P. scaber "Dalmatian" (Thanks Orin!)

P. scaber "orange"

P. dilatatus

Unknown species "tropical dwarf striped"

Unknown species "tropical purple micropod"

Trichorhina tomentosa

P. spinicornis (wild collected in NY)

Philoscia muscorum (wild collected in NY)

As you may be able to tell...I'm pretty into them! Considering their easy maintenance, they're a lot of fun. Once mine start producing more, I'm hoping to be able to trade for other species.

• 5 weeks later...

I caught them at a campground near Idaho city. I think they are Porcellio scaber, because there were a lot of them mixed in with the orange ones.

• 3 weeks later...

So far, I only have three species.

- Trichorhina tomentosa (collected from the Denver Botanical Garden)

- "Costa Rican purple" (also from Denver Botanical Garden)

- Porcellio scaber "orange" (from Roach Crossing)

Photos of my T. tomentosa:

IMG_2803_zps7c4719ff.jpg

IMG_2802_zps9e81a361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a bit of an Isopod kick lately. As of now I have:

Porcellionides pruinosus, Armadillidium vulgare, A. nasatum, A. maculatum, Porcellio scaber, P. scaber "orange", P. laevis, P. spinicornis, P. dilatus, Oniscus Ascellus, Trachelipus rathkii, Cylisticus convexus, Venezillo parvus, Venezillo sp. keys, Oniscidea sp. "Florida Fast", Trichorhina tomoentosa, "Dwarf striped", an unknown species of porcellio from northern Florida, another unknown porcellio from south Alabama (could be same species as the Florida one), and some tiny Trichoniscidae sp I found here in central Alabama.

• 1 month later...