How do you know if Hisser is gravid?

Jwerner2

Sometimes they push the ootheca out from the abdomen a few centimetres to rotate it, although they don't tend to spent a long time like that, so you might be lucky to spot it, but being fatter is generally the symptom to look out for, as far as I know.

I picked up another 6 at Repticon yesterday and there was one male and the rest females. I knew right off the bat one was about to bust.

Woke up this morning and went to remove the food and I found these. :lol:

So now I have two males and about 8 females. Hopefully thats a good ratio to start stimulating their reproducing.

post-4567-0-90522200-1391352831_thumb.jpg

I picked up another 6 at Repticon yesterday and there was one male and the rest females. I knew right off the bat one was about to bust.

Woke up this morning and went to remove the food and I found these. :lol:

So now I have two males and about 8 females. Hopefully thats a good ratio to start stimulating their reproducing.

Sweet. Enjoy your awesome hissers.

• 1 month later...

I second Mr. Crackertpants wishes above for you. It's always rewarding being a dad whether for humans, animals, or bugs. Have all 8 girls had babies? Have they all turned out healthy and thriving?

• 3 years later...

Is it possible for a hissing cockroach to be mated before being put in a pet store as feeders( i saved one from petco and it is pretty fat)

18 minutes ago, hymenopus said:

Is it possible for a hissing cockroach to be mated before being put in a pet store as feeders( i saved one from petco and it is pretty fat)

I have found with most roach as soon as they reach adulthood they will mate sometimes within 30 minutes. It has to be a full grown adult it can be tricky to tell since hissers come in a variety of sizes.