Dubia and substrate

Jwerner2

I have been having issues with my Dubia roaches all dieing off slowly. Thought it could be a few different things like food and possibly food being toxic. I tried everything I could and many different foods that had been recommended. Today my last few Dubias were on their backs with their legs flailing.

Now looking back I noticed this sorta started when I put them in a tank with cocofiber substrate. I'm looking to start with a fresh colony of younger roaches in the next few weeks and was wondering if the substrate could have been an issue? I noticed they liked to burrow in it a lot and I noticed they would kinda fall on there backs and not be able to get a good grip to flip back over. Could them falling on their backs and not being able to flip over had been an issue as well?

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to hear about your colony. I've seen pictures of Dubia and they're beautiful. I've read here on the site about a few foods that are bad for roaches: nuts; lemon and lime; cucumber peel; coconut. Make sure when you give them fruits and vegetables that you wash them off and dry them in case they have pesticides on them. When I give mine apples, I get rid of the peel first. Hissers and Discoid won't eat if the rooms below 70 ferenheit and I imagine it's that way with Dubia. So did you get your new colony? Are there any survivors of the old still?

• 1 month later...

Again, I'm sorry about your Dubia colony. It's heartbreaking to see any roaches on their backs all wiggling. Reminds me when I lived with German and I'd see piles of them like that after my landlord fumigated. Again, did you get your young colony and are there any survivors still of the old colony.

• 5 months later...

They don't really need substrate. Mine have been fine for 4 years with ought it. Although the dry cat food I give them has scattered and made the base of the roach bin. To prevent mold I use half oranges and lay them ontop of the egg flats. That's really all the water they need