Hello from China

Hello everybody, I am a student from Guangdong, China. You can call me Jie. I can say only a little English. I am interested in all kinds of insects, especially spiders, scorpions and cockroaches. Although Perplaneta americana and Perplaneta australasiae are pests in my home, I like them very much. Because I think they are cool. I had fed a Perplaneta americana at home for 3 days. When my parents found it, I had an argument with them. But I lost it at last. Here are two photos of the roach which I lost.

I'm sorry for your loss but you may try to start with some non-pest species, i.e. hissers (I know they are available in China). Large P. americana colony smells quite bad; believe me 'cause I have one. And being more professional is always good for convincing your families; show your knowledge of cockroach taxonomy, ecology and natural history to them to prove that you understand what you're doing.

Well there's another little trick; if your parents accept frogs or reptiles, you can get a feeder roach colony with good reasons. Glad I don't need to do those things cause I'm independent.

I'm sorry for your loss but you may try to start with some non-pest species, i.e. hissers (I know they are available in China). Large P. americana colony smells quite bad; believe me 'cause I have one. And being more professional is always good for convincing your families; show your knowledge of cockroach taxonomy, ecology and natural history to them to prove that you understand what you're doing.

Well there's another little trick; if your parents accept frogs or reptiles, you can get a feeder roach colony with good reasons. Glad I don't need to do those things cause I'm independent.

Thanks for your advice. I also find that P. americana are smelly. But what about P. australasiae?

Thanks for your advice. I also find that P. americana are smelly. But what about P. australasiae?

I have no experience with P. australasiae, I guess they stink too since they're Periplaneta anyway. American roach, oriental roach, orange head and lobster roach are some smelly colonies I've had.

I have no experience with P. australasiae, I guess they stink too since they're Periplaneta anyway. American roach, oriental roach, orange head and lobster roach are some smelly colonies I've had.

Well, could you tell me what kinds of roaches are non-climbing and have no stink? I don't know how to prevent them from climbing on the wall of the boxes.

Well, could you tell me what kinds of roaches are non-climbing and have no stink? I don't know how to prevent them from climbing on the wall of the boxes.

For the climbing issue, check here http://www.roachcros.../petroaches.htm

Most roach species I have don't smell. I imagine if you can grab a roach without getting any unpleasant defensive odor, then the colony won't stink either unless there's a hygiene problem (especially when you have large colonies).

A layer of vaseline is good enough barriers for most roaches, doesn't work on germans though.

You're in southern China, get yourself a bunch of great native species! For example Opisthoplatia orientalis and Eupolyphaga sinensis.