Germans and fruit

pierre72

When I had Discoids years back, giving them fresh fruit attracted ants and fruit flies. So I gave it up and stuck to fish flakes for the Disoids then and the Germans I have now. But a friend on the site confided to me that fresh fruit is essential for them to be healthiest. I started with 3/4 apple slices and they cobbled those completely in a night (have a big colony). Banana slices they didn't go for very much, maybe because they don't have the water content. Soon I'll try peaches and pears. Citrus fruits I wonder if they should have due to the acid. Can anyone else think of a kind they shouldn't have? By the way, my friend says if the fruit is changed daily, it won't attract the pests.

Citrus fruits like oranges are fine, but I wouldn't feed them lemon or lime. Some other fruits that my cockroaches will eat are: plantains, carambola, kiwi (didn't eat a lot of it), coconut, apple (Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, etc.)

Apple,banana,orange,mango, papaya.

What color are the mangoes when you feed them to your cockroaches? Mine never seem to care for mango.

Citrus fruits like oranges are fine, but I wouldn't feed them lemon or lime. Some other fruits that my cockroaches will eat are: plantains, carambola, kiwi (didn't eat a lot of it), coconut, apple (Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, etc.)

What color are the mangoes when you feed them to your cockroaches? Mine never seem to care for mango.

The skin is a mix of green and red. I leave it in 2 days, they like it second day as it starts to get really soft.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read on an older thread several members talking about ethylene gas which is used to hurry the ripening of bananas. Prolonged exposure can be poisonous. So whatever fruit any of you feed you're roaches, remove it like within 12 hours. Especially banana.