Hello from Long Island NY

RobR1976

Hello everyone, my name is Rob. I am 37 and live on Long Island, NY. I have been keeping roaches for the past 2 years as feeders for mantids. I'm currently raising Dubia, Lobster, Blatta lateralis, and an unknown species from an ootheca I discovered in a shipment of super worms. I joined this forum because I'm interested in raising roaches as pets. I'm hoping to start with some of the larger species like the Peppered and Cave roach.

Maybe they are Periplaneta fuliginosa. I do not know because I have not seen many ages of the Peripleneta. The small nymph in the picture has those white markings like pictures of young Peripleneta fuliginosa and the older nymphs look similar to Peripleneta pictures I see. I often find several adult Periplaneta fuliginosa in stores and outside Home Depot and stuff during the night. I want to catch at least a pair sometime to breed.

I often find several adult Periplaneta fuliginosa in stores and outside Home Depot and stuff during the night. I want to catch at least a pair sometime to breed.

Have you actually found any right now during the winter? I haven't found a single insect every since winter came around.

Thanks for helping with identifying them, I looked up pictures of Periplaneta fuliginosa (smoky brown cockroach) and I think you nailed it. The smaller nymphs do have white spots and the larger ones have a nice glossy mahogany coloring.

Have you actually found any right now during the winter? I haven't found a single insect every since winter came around.

Yes, but not this year, I have not gone to many places this year. I have found Periplaneta fuliginosa, Blattella germanica during the winter inside stores. Native roaches are out during the winter, but recently for some reason I have had some trouble find much Cariblatta lutea and Chorisoneura. I used to find Chorisoneura very common over a month ago, but know I cannot find many. You live in the NC. Hey. :)

Thanks for helping with identifying them, I looked up pictures of Periplaneta fuliginosa (smoky brown cockroach) and I think you nailed it. The smaller nymphs do have white spots and the larger ones have a nice glossy mahogany coloring.

Your welcome. :) Someone else may be more sure on what species your's are.

We can't sure wether Rob's roaches are P. fuliginosa or not. Because most species of Periplaneta have the same color on small nymphs.

Oh, do the American Roach and Periplaneta brunea have those white spots?

• 3 weeks later...