homemade roach mix?

Akuma223

Alright so I want to make a fancy mix for my dubias and hissers that i will be able to put in a freezer for storage. I made a mix last night consisting of a very small amount of crushed cat-food and fish flakes, small amount of banana and cucumber, orange bell pepper, small amount of clementine, broccoli, peas, corn, iceberg lettuce, and carrots. I really love preparing meals for vegetarian animals for some reason, I love feeding our sulcata at my animal science class.

Now I want to have a massively varied and healthy diet, both to benefit them and to in the far future benefit my Varanus rudicolis. What sorts of fruits and veggies can I give them for a mix that will have a wide variety of vitamins/nutrients? Also what foods would you not recommend?

Instead of fruits and veggies, you need to provide them a grain-based diet, such as wheat germ or CSB (corn soy blend) diet. You'll be surprised to see how those big leaf-eaters (cabbage loopers, tobacco hornworms, etc.) are raised on grain based diet in labs.

If you wanna make your own blend, I'd suggest something very like dog pellet or rodent block, and give them fresh fruits/veggies now and then.

I'd also give them plenty of rotten wood and dead leaves. There's research showed that many roaches prefer dead leaves to green plant tissues; remember they are more like detritivores than herbivores, closely related to termites.

• 2 weeks later...

A pet shop boy told me Tropical Fish Flakes have all that CRICKETS need, but roaches might have slightly different nutritional needs. A friend on the site told me fruit is essential for my German roaches, again the needs might be slightly different for different species. Apples, peaches, and bananas are most recommended, but change the fruit daily or it may attract ants and fruit flies. Lemon and lime are NOT recommended. As for bread anything whole grain would probably be good.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Forcep ... dead leaves and rotting wood is really a BIG THING !!!! If I forget to feed my roaches lettuce , oranges or apples one week.... they always have about 3 inch layer of dead leaves and a handful of medium/small size rotting wood.... as much protein hissers and giant cave roaches like .... they seem to really eat a lot of the leaves and wood.... just a thought....

• 1 month later...

I made my own, I didn't want to order any because i'm a tightwad lol. My Main base was ground cheerios and baby cereal, both high in fiber and protein, Also ground up Whole rolled oats, and powdered milk,Also high in fiber,protein, and calcium. They seem to love it and its all human grade stuff. All pretty cheap and made a huge batch. I just made this up off my head, I have heard that dog food and fish food are good but i didn't want any animal products really.

I find it easier as well too get some dixie, 3 section divider lunch plates with lid, cut the lid off and use each section. One for fresh fruits/veggies(which are changed daily). the biggest section for water crystals, and another for the dry food.Mixing it all up is a good idea but you would probably have too keep a daily eye on that for mold instead of just removing the old fruit or veggies.