Keeping and breeding Eleodes sp.

specimen24-6

Hello everyone, does anyone know how too keep and breed Eleodes sp. The reason why, is that I have recently whent on a bug hunt in a area near the coast of California and in my search I have found three black beetles in which I identify as Eleodes. All three of them are in the same genus but, one is of a different species.

They like a dry, sandy substrate, a few inches deep, preferably 50% sand 50% coconut fiber. Feed them dog food/cat food, fruits and veggies. If you have a male and a female, or a pregnant female, you should have larva in a few weeks. Also remember to have a moist spot in the cage, with a water bowl for the adults, and damp substrate for the larva. Other than the moist spot keep the cage dry. Hope this helps! :)

It's usually very easy to get and nearly as easy to rear larvae but they must be separated for pupation which is the tricky part. This part can be very easy or difficult depending on method and species but otherwise you end up with nothing. Some you can just put in cups. There is a small guide on rearing various darklings on Amazon.