Take a look at these hybrid babies! (The parents are the bottom two, and the two on top are male hybrid offspring) Beautiful crosses between a male Tiger Hisser and a female Madagascar Hisser. I think they're really cute! Does anyone know if they would look different if the mother was a Tiger Roach, and the father was a Madagascar Hisser?

post-3187-0-07462600-1407141709_thumb.jpg

I didn't do it on purpose, but I think the babies turned out pretty neat. No, they had tons of offspring, both males and females, I just picked these two males for the picture.

I've got male tiger x female oblongonata hybrids. They all look more like the male with stripes but have mixed colors on stripes, few like the females color. Looking at them its hard to tell their hybrids.

i just received my normal hissers from wcbpolish (Thanks!!!) i got 3 males and 6 females and about 26 nymphs. all of the nymphs look different than what i remember (i had about 8 previous and didnt know what i was going to do with them so they died). some of them are really deep burgundy and some of them are lighter colors with white banding (they also could be well fed but i dont know) of course he said that his colony is pure G. Portentosa so im not questioning it!

Keith, do you have any pictures of your hybrids? or really any of you colonies? :)

Wow Keith, he's beautiful! And pretty big too! Is he fertile?

Wow Keith, he's beautiful! And pretty big too! Is he fertile?

Yup they all are very fertile. I gave all my females and some males away the ones I have are just for pets, but before donating many females were pregnant from them. Wish I could of showed my others to you guys.

Roman:

I believe my colony is pure G. portentosa... but I am not 100% sure. The woman I received them from got hers from a colony at Michigan State University. But my colony does show variation, as you note. I don't want to mix anything new in unless I have to, to prevent accidentally tainting a pure bloodline.

If I knew how to get them "tested" I might do so...

Glad they are doing well for you.

Roman:

I believe my colony is pure G. portentosa... but I am not 100% sure. The woman I received them from got hers from a colony at Michigan State University. But my colony does show variation, as you note. I don't want to mix anything new in unless I have to, to prevent accidentally tainting a pure bloodline.

If I knew how to get them "tested" I might do so...

Glad they are doing well for you.

The twisted Hisser you gave me is doing great he gained some yellow in his coloring too, every time I open the cage he tries to run out my only roach that understands what an open cover is lol.

Nobody has said it yet, so I'll just pop it out. Hybrids are generally frowned upon and you'll often get a lot of flack for promoting intentional or even accidental hybrids on public forums. I try not to preach about what people do in their tanks because animals don't really belong in tanks anyway and we're all hypocrites for that reason alone. But you might want to prepare yourself for some negative feedback (to put it nicely) if you continue posting info. about hybrids across the internet. Again, I'm surprised we are ten posts in on this thread and nobody has mentioned this yet. This is an info. only post I'm making here. I've seen a lot of people deal with this issue in very unconstructive ways. Their argument usually centers around how these two species do not meet in nature and therefore should not meet in captivity either (because it is "unnatural").

i knew its not quite right to do this, and im sure the others knew about it. i always had the thought that if you plan or accidentally hybridize an animal, keep it for yourself, or destroy it. the only reason (i think anyways) that inkie decided to hybridize these two animals is to see the outcome of the two coming together. the only reason i would get hybrids or create a hybrid species is to feed my animals or to display them.

Oh yes, thank you for bringing that up. I know it is frowned upon by some people, but I like to have a bit more fun and experiment. I do give them to other people, but I am very careful to screen who I'm giving/selling them to, and I make sure that people know they are hybrids, and that they should not be placed in tanks with pure species, or sold as being something they are not. I think hybrids can have a lot to offer, for example, I've always found that Tiger Hissers are very beautiful, but very aggressive, fast, and not as good for handling. Madagascar Hissers I find to be somewhat less attractive, but they tend to be more placid and handleable. The hybrids are, in my opinion, more beautiful than the Madagascar Hissers, but easy to handle and very calm. Also, in pure lines, every individual looks the same. Hybrids tend to vary in color and patterns, so its exciting to see what you'll get.

Oh yes, thank you for bringing that up. I know it is frowned upon by some people, but I like to have a bit more fun and experiment. I do give them to other people, but I am very careful to screen who I'm giving/selling them to, and I make sure that people know they are hybrids, and that they should not be placed in tanks with pure species, or sold as being something they are not. I think hybrids can have a lot to offer, for example, I've always found that Tiger Hissers are very beautiful, but very aggressive, fast, and not as good for handling. Madagascar Hissers I find to be somewhat less attractive, but they tend to be more placid and handleable. The hybrids are, in my opinion, more beautiful than the Madagascar Hissers, but easy to handle and very calm. Also, in pure lines, every individual looks the same. Hybrids tend to vary in color and patterns, so its exciting to see what you'll get.

You are so right, pure tiger hissers are aggressive, my hybrids are fairly laid back. I have one pure male with them he is smaller but always tries to start a fight it must be in their genetic makeup!

No way, that's a pure G. Portentosa?? What interesting coloration he's got... very beautiful!

I wonder if his coloration is due to genetics, maybe it's partly due to his diet and environment as a nymph. I'd love to see what his babies look like if you decide to breed him!

• 1 year later...

Thats amazing! Can any roach breed with each other or do they have to be somewhat similar? always wanted to breed hybrids but not sure what to do