Pseudomops septentrionalis

• 1 month later...

So what do you keep them in now? Are they still breeding well for you?

Sorry for the late reply. They are now in a gallon jar with potting soil as substrate. I managed to get some oothecae to hatch, but the nymphs apparently became outcompeted by the isopods I placed in so the numbers dropped down until I separated the isopods into another container.

Thanks for the reply! That's interesting that isopods could outcompete them...I wouldn't have expected that.

I find myself being more and more attracted to the small Ectobiids, and am hoping to make room for this species in my collection early next year. I actually just acquired some wild Ectobius pallidus nymphs and will probably be setting them up in a container just like you described. I hope it works out! :)

Thanks for the reply! That's interesting that isopods could outcompete them...I wouldn't have expected that.

I find myself being more and more attracted to the small Ectobiids, and am hoping to make room for this species in my collection early next year. I actually just acquired some wild Ectobius pallidus nymphs and will probably be setting them up in a container just like you described. I hope it works out! :)

Oh man.....Ectobius pallidus is one of the hard to breed species so you might not be able to breed them in the same setup as Pseudomops.

Yeah, that's what I hear...I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway, they're cute little buggers. They've got a bunch of leaves in with them right now, and I also gave them a small chunk of apple which I saw at least one nibbling on. I'm keeping them right on the basement floor, hopefully the cool temperature will suit them better.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very cool! I need to pick up more of these guys at some point since my nymphs seem to be staggered just right so I never have more than one adult at a time. Only have a handful of nymphs though, so a little harder to guarantee.

Nice! I love the more intricate looking ootheca! :)

Me too! So weird looking for Ectobiid oothe

Very cool! I need to pick up more of these guys at some point since my nymphs seem to be staggered just right so I never have more than one adult at a time. Only have a handful of nymphs though, so a little harder to guarantee.

Hope you get to breed them this year :)

• 4 weeks later...

in case anyone is interested in knowing about their natural habitat….

Here in Alabama I usually find nymphs near a body of water (usually near creeks and rivers) where nymphs hide under rocks and other debris lying near the edge of water.

They overwinter as pre-sub nymphs and seem to mature around May as I begin to see adults flying in the field around that time.

Adults can be found in the same habitat as nymphs, but they can also be seen under leaf litter or on bushes in the open field with few shrubs. I occasionally see adults feeding on Queen Anne's Lace during hot summer. Interestingly, adults are attracted to lights at night.