B. lateralis egg cases?

RomanBuck

So now that i know how to tell if my females are producing, i have 2 of 3 females producing egg cases and the 3rd one is just starting to show signs. in the enclosure i have them in, there are these little soil mites (not confirming that these are soil mites but they are super tiny, smaller than the mites on hissers) and i am worried that the egg cases might be eaten by those or disrupted by them. Is this something to worry about of should i not worry so much?

PS: there is no way of taking pictures of them as they so freakin' tiny

I actually plan on doing that with just one ooth to see if i can keep them in the enclosure or not. the last ooth that was produced (my first one) was eaten by either the roaches or the mites. now i am heavily feeding the roaches to reduce the risk of the ooths being eaten.

While on the topic of ooths, i received 4 B. orientalis ooths, how does one know if they are viable? all seem to be dented but are solid to the touch.

I am just about sick of turks now....

I had at least 500 expecting them to breed.... 6 months of having them, no breeding so i feed/sell most of them but i keep 50.

a year after getting them i posted on here about egg cases being developed and stuff (litterally within 3 weeks) the female that was producing laid, but the egg case got eaten.

so after that i started to feed more heavily so they wouldnt eat the next ones.

I JUST checked on them 2 mins ago and found an egg case "skin"..... THEY ATE ANOTHER ONE!!?!?!?!?!

I have another female with an egg case on the end of her so I isolated her to make sure the egg case wont get eaten. If this one gets destroyed, I am going to feed them all off to my dragon.... so sic and tired of all of the crap these little things made me go through.

That's weird that you're having such difficulty with them. I've always thought of lats as one of the easiest roaches to raise. I just give mine chick mash and water crystals most of the time and there's a nearly endless supply of nymphs. I've never heard of them eating the eggcases. Are you sure they aren't hatching instead?

What's their setup and diet like?

there setup is a smaller (not cramped though) dog treat container with one of those moon rocks for hiding and stuff. Eco earth substrate, moist but not saturated. I feed them mostly fruits and veggies but always offer protein in the form of chicken mash, and bearded dragon pellets

I KNOW they arent hatching because 1) i dont see any tiny little nymphs and 2) I isolated a female that was about to lay an egg case last night, and there was not egg case on her or on the substrate.... I have no idea what is going on but I will buy more lats only one more time and if they dont lay egg cases or breed, I am done with them.... I know like Inkie14 started with one wild caught female and she has plenty of nymphs and stuff....

I don't really think fresh fruit and veggie is a good maple diet for roaches... Those are mostly water. Just feed them dog food and water would be fine.

Mine eat eggcases now and then but I don't care; they're reproducing too fast anyway.

6qt still might be small. Can you find any large bins such as trash cans? I think it will help in the Turkestan roaches not eating the oothecae. Also digging up the substrate might burry the oothecae and keep the oothecae from hatching, but I do not know about this.