Death Heads (B. craniifer)

I keep mine in a 66 quart bin with slightly moist coco fiber and cork bark. I started with 30 nymphs and only had a handful of females and mostly males so far. It's a total sausage fest in there. They're supposed to be fairly easy to breed. They're a little bit slower than B. discoidalis. Don't keep them on egg flats or egg cartons. That'll mess up their wings during the final molt. At least it did for a couple of my first males. Mine are turning out beautiful though with jet black wings and very nice pronotum markings.

I just keep mine as any other feeders: no substrate nor spray, egg carton, merely feed on dog food and water feeder. They emerge nicely and reproduce with no problem. Bad final molts do happen sometimes, but the possibility is as low as my other naturalistic setups.

I was told they should have a substrate to increase humidity and have better breeding

I won't be surprised if they breed better on good substrate :) What I mean is B craniifer is a species which can do well under minimal management. When you have more than 50 species to take care of then death head is the one you will only take one glance every week :P