Feeder recommendations?

PIaf94

So I've got a couple of flower mantises

that mainly eat flying insects, or anything constantly moving. So I'm looking for a good small to medium feeder roach that can climb, always active, and can maybe fly? Thanks.

Btw I do have dubias. Not the best roach for invertebrates especially since they burrow in the substrate and stop for hours when they sense danger

P. nivea would probably be a good choice. The adults climb, fly, and they're very soft. You could also use N. cinerea or B. lateralis if you want something a bit larger.

To be honest, my P. nivea dont do anything at all other than burrow. I always want to see them fly as I never had seen a flying roach in my life. They wont fly and they hardly EVER climb. They are fast but they have more of a shaking movement that makes them look fast.

P nivea and B. lateralis are good suggests. While only the adult of P nivea love to climb and fly.

B. lateralis don't climb smooth surface, but if your mantis cage allows them (net cage for example), they will climb all the way up and get caught by the mantis.

To be honest, my P. nivea dont do anything at all other than burrow. I always want to see them fly as I never had seen a flying roach in my life. They wont fly and they hardly EVER climb. They are fast but they have more of a shaking movement that makes them look fast.

That's interesting. My nymphs do nothing but burrowing, while my adults are so active. I need to knock my rearing container until all adults dropped and burrowed before I open it, or adults will swarm out flying... Same thing with my Gyna colony.

My adults (original ones have died and new ones molted out) are soooo mellow... If the gyna caffrorum roaches are like these, I will be solo happy! My parents say they will sell all of my roaches if they find one out its container so if caffrorums are like this, I will be set!

• 4 weeks later...

My P. wahlbergii (spiny flower mantis) loves lats. I've gotten some smaller mantids recently though, so I've started using P. pallida as feeders. They're small and can climb, so they always get the attention of my mantids (and my amblypygids as well).