Hi!

Packarat

Hello, all

I'm a shy girl who probably won't post much, but I wanted to register because I acquired a pair of hissers not two weeks ago, and I have some questions which I'll post in some hopefully appropriate section soon.

As for myself, the most interesting thing is, I guess, the fact that I used to be pretty severely entomophobic all my life.. like, 'hide in the bathroom and cry until someone gets that june bug out of my room' level entomophobic. So I'm also living proof that phobias can be overcome, and I'm proud to say I did it myself with no help - just subjected myself to some auto-exposure therapy by reading about insects, watching youtube vids and eventually getting my roaches. Now not only am I not repulsed by bugs, I actively want them to crawl over me :P - too bad my guys are shy and hold on to their root for dear life when I try to pick them up, and I don't want to pull too hard and hurt them. Any advice on how to gently pick up a stubborn hisser?

Anyway, I'm glad to be among fellow bug-lovers and hope to learn many interesting new insect facts on the forum.

I got over my fear of spiders by buying a tarantula and I liked it so much that I got a scorpion! I still don't like things that have long spindly legs like cellar spiders or house centipedes. I don't kill them though because they eat roach escapees ;)

It is so awesome that you did that! :D

I get a piece of cardboard and put it in front of the hisser, then poke its butt until it runs on to the cardboard, then I pick it up.

I'll have to try to trick or nudge mine onto my hand, but they really like to go flat rather then walk away when I poke them..

For bug control outside of specified areas in my house I have my cat, even if I'm not afraid of insects anymore I'd rather not foster random centipedes and spiders either ;)

Welcome to the forums! Sometimes roaches have different personalities, one of mine just sits like a rock when i hold him, and the other will walk all over my arm! Warmer temps will make them much more active, so if they are being kept at room temps, they may not move around too much. Glad to hear you got over your phobia, bugs are really cool and definitely deserve a second chance! :)