Feeding Roaches Honey

pannaking22

Has anyone fed roaches a treat of honey on occasion and noticed any difference in size, color, behavior, gender ratio, etc? I'm wondering because honey contains a myriad of different nutrients that may be beneficial to the roaches. I've fed honey to my mantids on occasion and am wondering if it would be good for roaches as well?

I haven't looked for any change, but mine don't get it often. I give them some when I eat it and think of them, haha.

It's an energy-rich food for them that they really seem to get excited about, but I suppose I wouldn't expect it would produce broad physiological changes. Especially when they're already being fed a varied, nutritious diet in captivity.

I had the same thoughts since they are already getting a varied diet. I guess it just gives me an excuse to watch my roaches even more now lol :)

I wish my roaches would get excited about something. I tried to offer them some honey yesterday and they seemed intrigued at first but then turned away. I've only ever seen them munching on apple and fish flakes, actually, even though I present them with various delicacies.. Banana? No reaction. Orange? Don't care. Baby carrots? Meh. Expensive human-grade spirulina? Ignore.

I also gave them some water with honey stirred in, but didn't witness them drinking or noticed any interest on their part. Don't know whether it means they don't like it or if they're just spoiled or overfed.

I wish my roaches would get excited about something. I tried to offer them some honey yesterday and they seemed intrigued at first but then turned away. I've only ever seen them munching on apple and fish flakes, actually, even though I present them with various delicacies.. Banana? No reaction. Orange? Don't care. Baby carrots? Meh. Expensive human-grade spirulina? Ignore.

I also gave them some water with honey stirred in, but didn't witness them drinking or noticed any interest on their part. Don't know whether it means they don't like it or if they're just spoiled or overfed.

not sure this would be a popular answer but you could withhold food for a breif time to see if they would accept a more varried diet. I mean think of it this way.. if you had an near endless supply of chocolate cake and you were REALLLLY into chocolate cake, why would you ever try Apple Pie?

A variety of nutritional ingredients is one thing, but the relative concentration is another thing. Technically speaking honey is mostly sugar... It is good for bee/wasp/ant workers to serve as perfect energy source, but may not be preferred by roaches.

A lot of small roach species would feed on pollen in the wild, so I guess pollen can serve as a treat for certain species.

If you don't see your roaches eat much, one possible reason is that there're not many roaches in the colony... My hisser colony can eat up 3 whole carrots overnight, it feels like they're taking the money out of my pocket everyday. In contrast, I don't need to add any new food for months in some other colonies.

A lot of small roach species would feed on pollen in the wild, so I guess pollen can serve as a treat for certain species.

If you don't see your roaches eat much, one possible reason is that there're not many roaches in the colony... My hisser colony can eat up 3 whole carrots overnight, it feels like they're taking the money out of my pocket everyday. In contrast, I don't need to add any new food for months in some other colonies.

I would definitely consider it to be a treat more than anything. If I'm giving my mantids honey and there's some left I'll just give it to the roaches.

Do you get mites in the colonies you only have to feed every couple months, or do you have a cleanup crew in there?

I would definitely consider it to be a treat more than anything. If I'm giving my mantids honey and there's some left I'll just give it to the roaches.

Do you get mites in the colonies you only have to feed every couple months, or do you have a cleanup crew in there?

Roach colonies that feed less still need enough maintenance ... Yes they can get mites, and I have to do quite some tricks to suppress the mite population. Such as introducing spring tails, put the food on the drier side, and use leaf litter as major diet in some cases.

Roach colonies that feed less still need enough maintenance ... Yes they can get mites, and I have to do quite some tricks to suppress the mite population. Such as introducing spring tails, put the food on the drier side, and use leaf litter as major diet in some cases.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of using leaves in the diets of anything besides polyphagids. Sounds like something to look into now!

I just put maple leaves in all of my enclosures and they seem to LOVE it!!

Alright, I know what I'm hunting for this weekend :)

I think any hard wood trees are good for them. My bio teacher had a good question I couldnt answer; Why do roaches prefer dead Oak and Maple leaves to the green leaves?

Here's my hypothesis:

1. Green leaves are nutritionally poor diet with high water content. Only specialized leave feeders can have greens as major diet.

2. Green leaves have chemical defense against insects.

3. The bacteria and fungus fauna on dead leaves are important resources.

Anyway, cockroaches are leave litter scavengers and not specialized on green leaves.

Here's my hypothesis:

1. Green leaves are nutritionally poor diet with high water content. Only specialized leave feeders can have greens as major diet.

Anyway, cockroaches are leave litter scavengers and not specialized on green leaves.

That would make sense. I've got some leaves now so I'll clean them up a bit and throw them in all my containers.

Here's my hypothesis:

My hissers eat spinach and romaine lettuce which is green and they do fine. I've offered both green and brown Oak leaves, the hissers go to the green leaves immediately, but if I only have brown they nibble on them.

• 2 months later...

A variety of nutritional ingredients is one thing, but the relative concentration is another thing. Technically speaking honey is mostly sugar... It is good for bee/wasp/ant workers to serve as perfect energy source, but may not be preferred by roaches.

Regarding the sugar thing. I have'nt tried honey with the lateralis, I will though and report back, but I have thrown a glazed doghnut in there once and they ate al of the center out leaving a hollow glazed, did'nt touch the fried exterior or the sugar glaze. I was very surprised.