Heating a bin of roaches

Inkie14

I have a big 30 gallon rubber bin out in the garage full of Giant Lobster Roaches. They cannot be moved to another room, and it's getting colder in the garage every night. I think it drops to about 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit. I want to heat the bin somehow, but I think putting a heat pad or something on the rubber would be a bad idea. Any suggestions?

Rubber bin... like a Sterilite tub or something?

A space heater might be safe, especially if the container's lid retains heat well, but not energy-efficient.

Low wattage heat pad. I also use a baseboard heater along with heat pads. For the higher wattage pads I stick glass in between the base and the bin. I haven't had any problems. If you use the reptile heat pads, use the rubber feet to let air pass through

I'd recommend the heat pads from reptilebasics.com if you go that route. I've had nothing but trouble from the sticky ones sold in most pet stores. However, I have some reptilebasics pads that I've used for over 5 years. You can use those on a plastic storage bin without worrying about the heat. I don't use the spacers on plastic totes. They aren't needed in my opinion. I only use them for glass enclosures.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Loosey: That is an excellent idea, since I actually have a heated rock! That way I won't have to buy a heat pad! I just found a small tile, and I'm putting the heat rock on it now to see how hot the tile gets.