InkiesBugsSpider5.jpg

Adult Female

InkiesBugsSpider.jpg

Adult Female

InkiesBugsSpider6.jpg

Adult Female

InkiesBugsSpider8.jpg

Adult Female

Riight?? I just love their little wavy "eyelash" hairs that stick out of the top of their heads. And their eyes convey so much intelligence, even though they're just little round balls. You really feel like you're looking into the eyes of something that's analyzing and trying to understand you back.

I think I read somewhere that jumping spiders are the most intelligent arthropods. I don't remember where I read it originally, but I did find an article on wikipedia that said something similar to what I had read. It is in the first paragraph of the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portia_(genus)#cite_note-1

Check this out: an herbivorous jumping spider!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagheera_kiplingi

If you get a really fat, gravid female, they're usually too heavy to jump, in which case they can be handled exactly like a calm, fuzzy tarantula!

Portia sp. is definitely on the upper end of intelligent inverts. It really amazing how diverse the salticids are. Phenomenal group. And they make awesome pets too :)

Stunning pictures of my favorite spiders! Are these two pets or just brought in for the pictures?

I've got a small "colony" of these spiders, about 30 or so individuals. I'm selectively breeding them for color and large body size. I'm currently waiting on two females to lay egg sacks.