Horseshoe roaches?

Hi! I am fairly new here. I have B. Dubia and what I was told are Horseshoe Roaches. I was hoping to get some info on how to care for them to get the best health and reproduction. Do I really need to get leaves? If so, how do I make sure I am not bringing something in that will hurt them? Right now I have them set up the same as the B. Dubia.

How do you have your enclosure set up? I keep mine with coconut fiber and some cork for cover. They don't have to have leaves. They will eat cat food and fruit/vegetables just fine. It couldn't hurt to get some oak leaves or maple leaves and put them on top of the substrate though. They stay underground almost 24/7, so they are a good species to keep with ground dwelling ones like the dubia or hissers or other species. I have my horseshoes in with some Gyna lurida. They get along fine.

Oh I keep them seperate in simple tubs at room temp (I know slower production but its what I can do right now) about 70 F. egg crates, no real substrate. I feed daily scraps of fruit and veg my dragon doesn't eat. They have a third of an orange for moisture. Same set up my B.Dubia have. I wouldn't put them together though. I wanna be able to track how my colonies are doing. They are both pets and feeders. I just got back into the Dubia, I have 10 of each kind of roach.

Hi! I am fairly new here. I have B. Dubia and what I was told are Horseshoe Roaches. I was hoping to get some info on how to care for them to get the best health and reproduction. Do I really need to get leaves? If so, how do I make sure I am not bringing something in that will hurt them? Right now I have them set up the same as the B. Dubia.

This species? http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5453

Oh I keep them seperate in simple tubs at room temp (I know slower production but its what I can do right now) about 70 F. egg crates, no real substrate. I feed daily scraps of fruit and veg my dragon doesn't eat. They have a third of an orange for moisture. Same set up my B.Dubia have. I wouldn't put them together though. I wanna be able to track how my colonies are doing. They are both pets and feeders. I just got back into the Dubia, I have 10 of each kind of roach.

I think that this species will need a substrate to carry out its life cycle properly. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though.

I think that this species will need a substrate to carry out its life cycle properly. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though.

If we are referring to Hemiblabera tenebricosa (Horseshoe Crab Roach), then yes you need a substrate for this species. If you raise 2 roach species together and they can reproduce, one will eventually out compete the other and eliminate it from the enclosure. FYI: I have a hard time (in the past) getting them to reproduce without hardwood leaves.