keeping dubias hydrated

Salmonsaladsandwich

I just discovered that they love romaine lettuce. I looked in about 5 minutes after fed them, and I couldn't see the lettuce. And I'm pretty sure the babies outnumber the adults by now, so I've started feeding. Which was really sad. It's not at all like watching wild caught or store bought insects getting fed, or even mealworms that you raised yourself. It's just seeing their maxillopods twitching and antennae waving around innocently just before dropping them in. Then, just before salamander gulps it down, you see its little compound eyes staring back at you, as though to scream "WHY?" as the little dubia disappears forever. Then, the salamander, with its mocking pseudo- smile, looks up at you with its icy black eyes and lumbers away. It's so sad... And I wish I could type in italics.

I just discovered that they love romaine lettuce. I looked in about 5 minutes after fed them, and I couldn't see the lettuce. And I'm pretty sure the babies outnumber the adults by now, so I've started feeding. Which was really sad. It's not at all like watching wild caught or store bought insects getting fed, or even mealworms that you raised yourself. It's just seeing their maxillopods twitching and antennae waving around innocently just before dropping them in. Then, just before salamander gulps it down, you see its little compound eyes staring back at you, as though to scream "WHY?" as the little dubia disappears forever. Then, the salamander, with its mocking pseudo- smile, looks up at you with its icy black eyes and lumbers away. It's so sad... And I wish I could type in italics.

What type of salamander? I feed some of my excess males to a big Tiger salamander. The roaches can sort of ride the line between pet and food, can't they? I do so enjoy watching them. I wish they were less shy.

Just my salamanders in general. Leadback, four toed (don't recommend, as they need special substrate and are poor eaters,) two lined and spotted. Red/ leadbacks are particularly voracious... You wouldn't believe the size of some things they swallow.

Just a quick question- are roaches smarter than crickets around open water? If I put baby dubias on the land area of an aquatic salamander setup, would they last a while until they got eaten or would they just end up dead in the water immediately?

Dubia nymphs will most likely hunker down under any large object on the dry portion and make themselves scarce. They also partialy burrow on a regular basis making them very hard to find. I've seen them last weeks in a lizard enclosure. I actually threw some carrot shreds in for food because i was amazed they managed a week. Definitely a survivor. My guess is they would be fine.

• 2 months later...