Trying New Roach Food Mixture!

Cooorndog

I have now had my Dubia's for a little over a Month. I was buying chow from a breeder, the cost was really getting up there do to the fact ive got 20 to 30,000. So i started investigating what would be a good mixture. My first mix has consisted of 50lbs bag of Hen Laying Chicken Feed 15% protien, 2 boxes of corn flakes at the local UGO grocery and a box of Oats. Mixed it all together and seems to be working good! It costed me $16 for Chicken Feed and about $10 for the Corn Flakes, Oats. For a total of $26 for 60lbs of food! i was paying $15 for 5lbs before. I also feed fresh fruit once a week. I use Water Crystals for hydration and moisture. What do you guys think?

Be careful with the chicken food. Animal grade food is not the same quality as human grade. If MAY have unwanted organisms in with it (grain mites, etc) that could infest your colony. For a couple of years I ate livestock-grade ground corn instead of corn meal- I kept it in the freezer so that unwanted things would not grow in it (BTW- I am not recommending humans eat livestock grade food... but I did without harm)

If you are like me, and keep your non climbing roaches in an open top tub, you wont ever have any issues with mites :) Chicken feed is a great thing to have around! I still feed my dubia chicken feed and fruits and veggies. Been like that for almost 2 years now!