Best adhesive for gluing screen?

What is the best way of attaching screen to bins? I have used hot glue, liquid nails and other products. None seem to be extremely effective. If I am not gentle or get the area wet, the screens come loose, at least sometimes. I have even scuffed up the plastic to make them stick better. That helps somewhat. Any ideas roach people?

I've actually had good luck with hot glue. I've only had it fail once in 2-3 years and that was more due to me being stupid than the glue itself. I just pin the mesh to the bin or lid. Then I apply the hot glue to the mesh so that it seeps through to the bin. I use a generous amount of hot glue so that about 3/4 to 1" of the mesh's perimeter is glued. That works well for me.

I've actually had good luck with hot glue. I've only had it fail once in 2-3 years and that was more due to me being stupid than the glue itself. I just pin the mesh to the bin or lid. Then I apply the hot glue to the mesh so that it seeps through to the bin. I use a generous amount of hot glue so that about 3/4 to 1" of the mesh's perimeter is glued. That works well for me.

This is exactly what I do as well... if you use sandpaper and scuff up the perimeter of the opening that the screen is to be applied to, as you said you did, and apply a generous amount of hot glue (I end up using a couple sticks per opening for a very thick perimeter as Doc said... and I do it inside AND outside the opening), then you should have zero problems. The only time I've known hot glue to fail is from extended exposure to direct heat (heat lamp resting on it or pointing at it, space heater in proximity, etc)...

I would never recommend anything BUT hot glue... it's non-toxic, no fumes, easy to work with, and much cheaper than super glues...

• 2 months later...

I cut my aluminum screen .5" larger that my opening to get .25" overlap all around. Then I use a soldering iron with a woodburning attachment to melt the screen edge into the plastic. Good solid install, the screen will tear before the edges ever let loose!

I just use aluminum foil HVAC tape and tape the screen onto the inside of the container.

It's quick and easy.

If you overlap the edges of the screen with the tape and press it down uniformly without any major ripples, it works great and stands up to all sorts of abuse.

I haven't had any Dubai roaches or crickets that have been able to chew it up.

Cheers

I use fiberglass window mesh. It doesn't say what grade it is. I just hotglue it to the bin and never had a problem with escapes. Just make sure to sand the bin down so the hotglue can have a better bond.

Whoops meant to post this somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

There is a great alternative method for "venting enclosures" while at the same time preventing escapes.  I'll post a link later for the "micro-screened" vents that I use exclusively all of my invert enclosures.

• Like 1