Epilampra maya

• 1 year later...

Glad these guys are doing well for you, they look so cool, especially the nymphs!

I hear that they are semi-aquatic which is also very interesting.

These are fairly prolific, but not as much as Rhabdoblatta. However, adults make up for the less litter by living much longer than Rhabdoblatta :)

Nice, definitely want to get some one day when I have more room, they sound like a nice species to have. :)

Glad these guys are doing well for you, they look so cool, especially the nymphs!

I hear that they are semi-aquatic which is also very interesting.

Thanks :) They tend to stay above water but will dive into water when disturbed. Ironically they seem to do poorly if kept in aquatic setup.

Nice, definitely want to get some one day when I have more room, they sound like a nice species to have. :)

Indeed :) Definitely worth giving it a shot!

• 4 months later...

That happened to my Rhabdoblatta too, that was due to too much filth and not enough moisture though, wonder why your Epilampra stopped reproducing? Really hope they start cranking out nymphs for you!

On 11/18/2016 at 10:07 AM, pannaking22 said:

Odd that they stopped producing for you. Hope the new setup works though! 

Thanks :) I'm guessing the enclosure got too filthy for them to breed as I had lots of males die from old age

On 11/18/2016 at 2:15 PM, Hisserdude said:

That happened to my Rhabdoblatta too, that was due to too much filth and not enough moisture though, wonder why your Epilampra stopped reproducing? Really hope they start cranking out nymphs for you!

Thanks :) I think it's the same reason as why your Rhabdoblatta stopped producing. 

3 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Thanks :) I think it's the same reason as why your Rhabdoblatta stopped producing. 

Dang, seems like Epilamprids do not like a build up of dead bodies, which pretty bad since they can be pretty prolific and have short lifespans.

Do you use any cleanup crews in your Epilampra enclosure? I've employed some Alphitobius diaperinus in my R.formosana enclosure, which in hindsight may not have been the best idea, but we'll see how they do and how many dead roaches they can eat. :)

Hope your E.maya reproduce for you soon!

18 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Dang, seems like Epilamprids do not like a build up of dead bodies, which pretty bad since they can be pretty prolific and have short lifespans.

Do you use any cleanup crews in your Epilampra enclosure? I've employed some Alphitobius diaperinus in my R.formosana enclosure, which in hindsight may not have been the best idea, but we'll see how they do and how many dead roaches they can eat. :)

Hope your E.maya reproduce for you soon!

Ya. Seems that they get sick if they are exposed to filthy condition for too long. I don't use cleanup crews in my enclosure for this species since they seem to stress out my roaches and even steal their food.