P.aegyptiaca nymphs not burrowing?

Hisserdude

My Polyphaga aegyptiaca nymphs do not seem to burrow much, and prefer to wander around their cage. Is this usual behavior for this species? The substrate is a mix of dead leaves, coconut fiber, and long fibered sphagnum moss. The P.saussurei nymphs have the same substrate, and they are constantly underground.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks for the quick reply! I have 4 nymphs, 2 of them are large, 2 of them are small. My small nymphs are burrowing, but the bigger ones are not. I removed a bit of the sphagnum moss, so the substrate would be less chunky. If they still do not burrow, I may go get some sand for them.

They are burrowing now, I think the substrate was too chunky. I removed about half of the sphagnum moss in the cage. Thanks for the advice guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...

That's really interesting that they didn't burrow on that substrate. I would've thought they'd try and make do with it.

Picky little guys. Might be worth putting them on a variety of subs to see what they'll burrow in and what they won't? Potting soil, plain coco fiber, sand mixed with something else, fine gravel... Just for knowledge's sake.

Ya, its weird. They will burrow in the substrate I have them in now, but they come back up within a minute. I am gonna add more coconut fiber, and see how that goes.