food favorites

Vonnie

Guaranteed they are eating... I have found hissers really like carrots and grapes. It's a trial and error type thing as every roach has different prefferences

Thanks a bunch my fellow Minnesotan!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Edible flowers (nasturiums, pansies, dandilions) and sweet potato peelings seem to be my colonies favs.

They LOVE carrots

Make sure to get carrots and chop them up into little bits so its easier for them to eat.

Another thing you can do is ground up some dog food and they like that too.

If you can find a plantain (banana thing) my roaches really like that and would eat into it and sit in it :D

also, be careful when giving them iceberg lettuce, as it has no nutritional values. If you wanted to give them some, make sure you give them other food along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to see my flathorn hissers chow down on anything I put in their enclosure. Has anyone found a favorite food item they enjoy?

I'm also a Minnesotan! We have a MinnVerts group that meets in The Twin Cities area 4-6 times a year if any of you are interested.

:)

Cucumbers are one of the few foods they won't touch... In fact it's commonly recommended to place cucumber slices around a kitchen to repel cockroaches. Although supposedly at least a few species will eat overripe cucumbers, presumably that have lost the chemicals that cockroaches dislike.

Mine go crazy for this smoothie I make for my beardie. Dandelion greens, collard greens, carrot, butternut squash, acorn squash, mango, bit of strawberry and raspberry, snap peas and okra bits and a bit of water all blended together. The texture is a bit jello-y so it doesn't get everywhere. Both my Dubias and Hissers pretty much go into a frenzy over this stuff. That and a little bit of Orijen natural dog food (I have to put in extra... always... because they'll actually fight each other for it). I swear they act as if I never feed them ever. O.O They breed like crazy though - I guess they REALLY like it. I've gotta try the plantains somebody mention - I ALWAYS have extra in my house!

I feed carrots. I fed them cucumbers yesterday, but my G.oblongonota didn't like it.

roaches tend to HATE cucumbers and sometimes wont even go near them. Just feed them something other than that.