Parcoblatta americana

Here's some pics of some more nymphs that hatched today! :D

Parcoblattahatch%25231.JPG

Parcoblattahatch%25232.JPG

Parcoblattahatch%25233.JPG

Sorry about the crappy quality, these guys are tiny and do not like to stay still for the camera! :P

Thanks, I hope so! Do you know how long these guys typically take to mature? Also, they have some predatory mites in their enclosure, will they stress my roaches like normal mites do?

• 3 weeks later...

My fourth ooth just hatched, and no die offs yet, and I hope it stays that way! :) My oldest nymphs have molted four times already.

• 7 months later...

Well several months later, my babies are maturing! Here are some pictures of the F1 adults!

Adult male:

Parcoblatta%252319.JPG

Parcoblatta%252320.JPG

Parcoblatta%252322.JPG

Adult female:

Parcoblatta%252323.JPG

Parcoblatta%252324.JPG

I am so happy these guys are doing well, looks like the next generation is coming soon! :D

Good work!

All the best from Bill. :D

Thanks Bill! :D Are you ever going to post some pictures of your Polyphaga obscura here? We don't seem to have any in the U.S. hobby, so any pictures we can get of this species are appreciated. ;)

I will keep the camera close to hand, just for you Hisserdude! It's feeding day on Wednesday, you never know your luck.

All the best from Bill. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so all the pictures I have taken of my adult females of this species have sucked, so I set out to take some really good ones. Finally, I was able to get some great photos, so without further ado, here they are!

P.americana%25231.JPG

P.americana%25232.JPG

P.americana%25233.JPG

• 8 months later...

Well my colony is absolutely thriving, I've had to start using them as feeders! I took some pictures of the colony a few days ago, it's amazing how much my colony has grown in the past year. :)

P.americana%25231.JPG

P.americana%25232.JPG

P.americana%25233.JPG

P.americana%25234.JPG

56 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Oh wow! I'm tempted to get them now! 

Lol why, do they look different than your stock?

7 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Yep. Looks like yours get much brighter than the stock I have! 

Yeah, the nymphs and males are usually a bright orange color, but the females are a dark red, I have yet to see any dark looking males pop up in my culture. When it gets warmer and I can ship again I'll have plenty available for sale/trade if you are interested. ;)

2 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, the nymphs and males are usually a bright orange color, but the females are a dark red, I have yet to see any dark looking males pop up in my culture. When it gets warmer and I can ship again I'll have plenty available for sale/trade if you are interested. ;)

Mine supposedly produce orange and black males, but I've only had black ones pop up in my colony. Looking forward to buying (or trading) your americana :)

1 minute ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Mine supposedly produce orange and black males, but I've only had black ones pop up in my colony. Looking forward to buying (or trading) your americana :)

Interesting, honestly I wish my colony would produce some black males, would be nice to have some variation. Cool, I'm looking forward to it too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, two males have matured recently, and they are much darker than the other males in my colony, here are some pics of them:

P.americana%252341.JPG

P.americana%252342.JPG

P.americana%252345.JPG

P.americana%252347.JPG

They aren't as dark as males of other strains I've seen, but still very different looking from my other males. Wonder if I could isolate this trait or not...

• Like 1