somewhat different topic

pierre72

This topic is somewhat unrelated to roaches, but I have a real problem that I know you'll all understand.

I have two pet mice who I was told were both girls. But they had two litters of babies. My vet obviously can't tell the difference or the second litter wouldn't have come.

Anyway, I need to find good homes for several of them. Please no feeders!! They're to precious for that.

Let's see. I have two gray and one brown up for adoption now. The second litter will be old enough in about 2 weeks. The second are really dazzeling with multicolors.

So are any of you interested in having one as a pet? Or anyone else you know? Again, no feeders. Thank you.

Would you charge for their adoption? How would you ship them?

Well, I'm not sure but the pet shop I got them from gets them from Ohio somehow. I probably wouldn't charge. My pay is knowing they would be well cared for. How many would you want?

pierre72, I believe pet stores have them trucked in by large companies or through breeders. You can't ship live mice through the mail. Have you tried contacting your local humane societies to see if you can home them locally?

Technically, it's illegal to ship any live animals though USPS, including roaches. But mice are more likely to be found and confiscated. It might be easier to ask around with your friends near home. Or, if you decide to ship, get the shipment pre-approved through Fed-Ex.

RomanBuck is right, it's not illegal at all to ship roaches and any other insect considered "small and harmless." It's also legal to mail certain things like bees and day-old chicks and ducklings through USPS.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm

I think if you want to ship live mice, you'd probably be looking at shipping through an airline as cargo.

FedEx has a Live Animal desk that handles this sort of thing on a case by case basis though, so you could maybe try them.

Pierre,

When I worked at a local pet store, we were taught that female rats can store sperm and have a couple batches from one breeding, and we always tried top separate the juvenile males from their mothers and sisters ASAP, or they would impregnate their own mothers and sisters. You might have had something like this happen with your little gals.

And, for the record, it is VERY easy to identify male mice from females (once mature) as the males are "well-endowed" When they are young, it's tougher, but as adults, there should be no question.

I can't help with finding homes for the babies, but good luck. I know that you are very tender with all of your animals - even the ones some people hate (like the german roaches)

That's true, but I've asked every person imaginable for over a month. Plus pet shops are pretty full of them and would probably use them for feeders or sell them to people who would. If I can find a humane, legal way to ship them would you want one?

Thanks for the compliment and all Tom. I'm hoping people members who live in New York or surrounding states like Penn, Jersey, or NNew England will see this and be interested. Your information is helpful too. My sister was suggesting I ask the vet for a refund.

We will see. There is a local girl who took two of the older ones Sunday. I'll see how many she wants from the second litter once they're old enough. There's about 12 in the batch. Oh, and thanks for the offer.