Water Crystals out of diapers?

Nacho Abarca

Nacho, that is a really expensive way of getting hold of what should be relatively inexpensive to get. Plus, you have to worry about fragrances, wood pulp, and dyes inside the diapers.

I use water gel alongside fresh fruit and vegetables, although the compound I use is polyacrylamide, as opposed to sodium polyacrylate, which is what is used in diapers. Polyacrylamide is food safe and approved for use with vegetables and fruit. Rather than buying the overpriced polyacrylamide "intended" for crickets and other insects, have you checked any garden centers or craft stores?

You can find very cheap water crystals in bulk on ebay. That's where I've been getting mine for the past 4 years.

Haha I was thinking of stealing one of my grandma's diapers to make tests, but it's not worth the trouble. :D

I haven't checked on garden stores, but that kind of things tend to be on the expensive side because they're relatively new on the market.

Ebay sounds good, but IDK if it's legal to import, there's usually trouble or super high taxes.

I feed my roaches part of my fruits and vegetables (I'm a vegetarian) but lobsters (my biggest colony, which is not that big haha) still become crazy when I put damp paper towels inside their bin. I see no problem with the species that have a substrate, but lobsters are feeders!

The seller I buy from says that they can ship to Costa Rica, but it looks like the shipping + import fees would be more than the cost of the crystals :/

http://www.ebay.com/usr/tastyworms

It'll probably be easier/cheaper to find some locally.

As a test I gave those to some roaches and then a few days later I froze them....When cut open they all had crystals in them....I don't use them at all.

The sodium polyacrylate out of diapers?

Hmm, that is really alarming. :/ I don't like to think that my roaches, and ultimately, my reptiles are ingesting polyacrylamide. Anyone else have any info on the matter?

I've been using water crystals for several years with no ill effect. I don't know if it's exactly the same type you are referring to. The stuff I buy says that they are a non toxic potassium based polymer.