"Axanthic?" B. dubia Experimental Cultivar

So for those of you who've read my "yellow" dubia experiment thread, you may have noticed this photo of a "clear" or what is maybe "axanthic" male that I found in my colony, which I thought was a fluke:

https://dl.dropboxus... 3 28 24 PM.jpg

Since finding him, I've been keeping my eyes out for particularly light or more grey nymphs, and I'm happy to show off this collection of "clear" or "axanthic" (since they seem to have no yellow or orange, only the black melanin) adults. They have all had the same access to the same foods as my other roaches, and that includes carrots. No, they are not freshly molted, and have held this coloration and clear wings for a good while. I wanted to make sure before I shared!

Male that I'm crazy about:

Photo%20Apr%2030%2C%2011%2040%2032%20PM.jpg

Adult females, of which I have two, who both look pretty much identical:

Photo%20Apr%2030%2C%2011%2048%2024%20PM.jpg

Another male who's a little less flashy, but still nice:

Photo%20Apr%2030%2C%2011%2059%2003%20PM.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm really interested to see what you say! I will say that the original male has darkened up a touch over the past month or so, but his protonum and wings are still clear.

They sure look cool, but I don't know about 'axanthic'- look at the legs. Although I imagine that's just because of muscles inside the legs, the exoskeleton itself seems to lack color... So never mind. I guess maybe they are axanthic.

XD It's okay, Salmonsaladsandwich! I believe the brown in the legs and on the wings is due to light concentrations of melanin. On a normal dubia roach those areas appear black, which I think is due to the addition of the yellow pigment. Nix that, and you just get a crummy brown.

Cool! I love that you have been isolating interesting color morphs and isolating them, keep up the good work! :D

• 1 month later...

Wow, wcbpolish, thank you for the incredible share! They are definitely similar to what I'm getting, although my nymphs aren't nearly as stunning! Mine also have the clear protonums and wings. Might have to contact the owner of these and find out if he has any specifics about them.

Little update in the meantime! Thought this was quite a nice looking male, so I'm sharing him :)

Photo%20Jun%2007%2C%209%2003%2035%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2007%2C%209%2006%2048%20PM.jpg

• 1 month later...