Light or Dark:

Here is something interesting I have been fooling with that maybe we could all talk about: Light and Dark.

Do you keep your roaches in a room with windows or not?

Do they get sunlight or not?

Do they get moonlight or not?

Do they get artificial light or not?

And for any of these, for how long? quarter day, half day, full day, none, or somehwere in between?

And, have you ever altered thier light exposure and noticed an increase or decrease in production?

For what species?

I could pose additional relevant questions, but you get the idea. Post some feed back!

Hmmm... never even messed with light levels. I keep my roaches in my reptile room... it has one window that is 80% blocked on a different wall away from the roaches. I always felt they enjoyed the darkness...the only daytime active species of roach that comes to mind for me is the Pale Bordered Field Roach...

The only roaches who aren't in bucket cages is my Rhino Roach group... they are housed in a 20 gal long on a shelf in the room. They stay burried during the day...sometimes at night you can catch them roaming the cage....

My roaches all seem to be somewhat more active at night...

Have you tried messing with light levels? Have you seen any effects on reproductive levels?

Thanks,

Graham

My roaches all seem to be somewhat more active at night...

Have you tried messing with light levels? Have you seen any effects on reproductive levels?

Thanks,

Graham

I had recently taken any colony large enough to split and put a tub where they get indirect daylight and left the other tub in its usual mostly dark location.

I noticed that one of mine suddenly had a population bloom, but there are a few factors involved. I suspect daylight as they go into rest mode in the light and awake at night, etc. you get the picture....

So the experiment is in progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you keep your roaches in a room with windows or not?

Yes, the whole day.

Do they get sunlight or not?

Yes, but not directly on the cage.

Do they get moonlight or not?

No

Do they get artificial light or not?

Yes at night when I turn the light on in my room, but for no more than 3 hours at a time.

And, have you ever altered thier light exposure and noticed an increase or decrease in production?

No, but I noticed they like the dark better which is what most roaches like.

For what species?

Blaberus Giganteus

Here's one to add:

Do you keep your roaches in an air conditioned room?

Yes, but I make sure the temperature in no lower than 68 degrees F.