Tips for Getting Panchlora and Opisthoplatia to Pop Babies?

Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my Opisthoplatia orientalis and Panchlora sp. "Giant" to reproduce. I've had adults for at least 4 months now. I keep them at around 75-85 Degrees, and they both have damp/moist substrate. I give them fruit and dog food daily, and they have lots of hides and a deep substrate. The females abort their ootheca very frequently, unfortunately. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or could someone share how they keep theirs? Thanks guys!

It's a good idea to not bother them too much. I'd recommend keeping them in a dark place and only feeding them once or twice a week instead of every day.

Everything else sounds good though.

I only give my roaches enough fruit that they can eat in one or two days. I don't notice any mold, but that could be due to the cleaner insects.

They don't need to be fed daily. I've had good results with just weekly or bi-weekly feedings.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the "Giant" Panchlora are any different than the regular size, but I noticed it took a while for my colony to initally start. Some of it might be the nymphs are so tiny and stay below the substrate unless feeding so you might not even notice they are there until the numbers start to rise. I just remember I was starting to give up hope right around the time I finally started to see nymphs. Now I can't get the little buggars to stop.

Thank you Krissim Klaw. Unfortunately, this colony is fairly old with most if not all of my males having died. Maybe a few of the females are carrying ootheca, but I think I'll try again some other time if they aren't. I might also just try Panchlora nivea next time to see if I have better luck with them.

Panchlora sp. Giant females are bigger than Panchlora nivea but Panchlora sp giant males are the size of Panchlora nivea. I have noticed that if you cant get one of the species down pat, its difficult to get the other species to breed.

Thank you Krissim Klaw. Unfortunately, this colony is fairly old with most if not all of my males having died. Maybe a few of the females are carrying ootheca, but I think I'll try again some other time if they aren't. I might also just try Panchlora nivea next time to see if I have better luck with them.

The males don't live that long. I lost my original boys fairly quickly. Everything about what you posted in the intro sounds good, so I'm surprised they aren't taking off. I've heard of people keeping the regular and giants in the same enclosure so I assumed the care was pretty much the same.

I have mine set up in a twenty gallon long tank. There are several inches of coco fiber with some oak leaves for substrate, along with springtails and Alphitobius diaperinus for a cleanup crew. I tend to run a wetter side and drier side with the substrate. I have a fake plant (adults favorite hang out) cork bark, and a few other cage decorations. For food mine get fruit/veggies (banana, zucchini, apples, carrots, dark leafy greens), dog food, and plain oatmeal. My temp range tends to be 77-82 degrees.

Where is more of the action coming from? The moist side or the dry side? I keep my Panchlora species in nearly identical setups. I keep them moist, 75-80 degrees, feed high protein cat food, and fruit once a week. I also keep springtails in their enclosures.

Where is more of the action coming from? The moist side or the dry side? I keep my Panchlora species in nearly identical setups. I keep them moist, 75-80 degrees, feed high protein cat food, and fruit once a week. I also keep springtails in their enclosures.

You know it is honestly hard to tell now because there is so many everywhere. Not suprising I notice a lot of white freshly shed nymphs in the more moister side. I think the adults prefer the slightly drier areas and I also think the nymphs favor it some to sleep. It is easier for them to dig. I almost never see the adults touching the dog food. The nymphs swarm that in droves however for the protien. To little of it and they will start acting as partial cleanup crew with the dead. I keep a steady supply of fruit/veggies in the tank, and that is what I see the adults eating the majority of the time. They seem to favor the sweeter stuff like bananas and apples. The nymphs on the other hand love the zucchini.

This may very well be my problem. I will have to feed sweeter foods more often than cat food. The only species that seems to really breed for me currently are my Blaberus hybrids and surinams. Time to go feed the herds! Thanks for the info!