Protein supplement

JunQ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That page doesn't say anything about glucosamine, amino sugars, chitin or really anything related to what we're discussing. It seems to me, that you didn't actually know anything about this topic and you're doing research trying to find something that supports your argument. Like you said, you are convinced of your perspective. So it seems that rather than looking at evidence to draw a conclusion, you're looking for evidence that supports your already formed conclusion. And now, I almost feel as though your'e giving me links to random biochemistry related articles attempting to bewilder me. That article doesn't seem to be related to the discussion at all.

Not too long ago I read the paper about cockroaches and uric acid, and it is what first convinced me to feed my roaches vegetarian, but more recently I have seen more evidence against this in commonly kept species and changed my opinion. You seem to find it more difficult because you've already invested in your argument too much.

I think I should mention that this whole discussion about protein and chitin and stuff comes from you're idea that roaches can't digest it. Ever seen a roach eat its exuvia? Or scavenge another insect?

Btw, I'm not upset. I was just growing skeptical that you even had any idea what you were talking about.

Since hard, empirical evidence is lacking on the issue of protein supplementation, the hobbyist must turn to anecdotal evidence; and it overwhelmingly advises the use of protein supplementation: dog food, cat food, chicken feed, fish flakes...

• 2 weeks later...

Having read some of the studies and fiddled around with amounts, I've found leaving it to my P. Nivae to decide has been the best way to avoid issues. One of the things I find rather interesting about them is watching their varying prefrences at meal time. I offer a variety of veggies, fruits, oats, bark, leaf litter, and dog kibble on a regular basis. The nymphs swarm the kibble, meanwhile the adults seem way more keen on sticking to fruits/veggies. Even there however I've noticed other splits. For instance the nymphs really seem to love zuccine while the adults are especially partial to banana.

When I initially started out I read some of the info on protein and began offering dog food as only a treat. This resulted in canniblisim. It was interesting in its own right to see. The nymphs would target a subadult as it shed to adulthood and tear into it like a pack of wolves until nothing was left.

I've seen young animals of many species have a much strong preference for protein and meat than adults. It makes sense, the young need it for growth. The adults need less for maintenance. My banana roaches pretty much just eat cardboard I give them from shipped packages. And they multiply like crazy. It is insane.

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to offer a fresh perspective, I will provide a link that I found a while ago and forgot about and found it again today when perusing the interwebs. It supports the use of less protein when raising Dubia Roaches. It is an interesting read with some decent links for those on the fence about the whole high protein verses low protein debate. https://dubiaroachdepot.com/guidance/dubia-roaches-dietary-protein

So the real question is not what percent of this or that a roach needs but what does each species eat in the wild. For example, I have found over the years in my pigeon loft that a small population of parcoblatta pensylvanica. Nothing inside to eat but pigeon poop, feathers, whole grain dust and deteriorating wood.