Hisser concerns...

I don't currently have any hisser species, but I would like to breed some in the future. The only thing holding me back is that these guys breed like roaches right? And so many people sell them so there is not a huge demand. So what do I do with all the excess roaches? I don't have any large insect eating animals, so I can't just feed them off. I don't want it to get to the point where I have to remove half the colony and then freeze them, you know? Any advice and tips would be much appreciated!

The only hisser species I have that breeds really fast is A. insignis. The others are easy to manage and haven't overcrowded their containers much at all.

Really? Huh, I always assumed for some reason that they always outgrew their containers, since they reproduce a lot and live a long time. Well then, maybe I'll finally breed some hissers soon...

Thanks for the help guys! :D

If you want hissers just go to your local pet store and go to the feeding section, The containers are very cheap and come with two hissing cockroaches, be careful as some may arrive pregnant. I've had my two female hissers for about a year now and they're always together on their little log I gave them, If you you're not breeding them and want a small number then just get a large pet carrier cage, its perfect for them!

TDLR

1. Go to petshop and look for roaches near the food section

2. Buy large pet carrier for them to live in

3. Buy squirt bottle

4. Buy cocconut grounds (this is the dirt on which they will on, they love it!)

5. Learn about what and what not to feed them and give them ground cat food or dog food with every meal.

6. Give them some hiding spots like a log (my roaches just love to sit on their log)

7. Mist the cage everyday so that it remains humid, they like it humid

8. Clean cage whenever you feel like its dirty

9. Have fun with your hissers!

If you want hissers just go to your local pet store and go to the feeding section, The containers are very cheap and come with two hissing cockroaches, be careful as some may arrive pregnant. I've had my two female hissers for about a year now and they're always together on their little log I gave them, If you you're not breeding them and want a small number then just get a large pet carrier cage, its perfect for them!

TDLR

1. Go to petshop and look for roaches near the food section

2. Buy large pet carrier for them to live in

3. Buy squirt bottle

4. Buy cocconut grounds (this is the dirt on which they will on, they love it!)

5. Learn about what and what not to feed them and give them ground cat food or dog food with every meal.

6. Give them some hiding spots like a log (my roaches just love to sit on their log)

7. Mist the cage everyday so that it remains humid, they like it humid

8. Clean cage whenever you feel like its dirty

9. Have fun with your hissers!

This is for my two roaches, if you want to breed them I suggest you look into it on youtube, as I do not breed my roaches

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful! :) I would rather buy them online though, then I could tell if they were hybrids or not. Again, thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My deal is that I don't like to buy pets that I can't breed, I don't want something that in a few years will die out completely, I want to keep the species alive in my collection, you know? I thought the hissers would breed too much and then I would have to keep getting them bigger cages. However, it seems that is not the case, so I have no problem breeding them now. Thanks for the advice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want hissers just go to your local pet store and go to the feeding section, The containers are very cheap and come with two hissing cockroaches, be careful as some may arrive pregnant.

hi I have a few questions ,do you think it possible to only buy one from a pet store ? Can you buy nymphs from a pet store ? can you get hissers from pets at home?

Sorry for all of the questions I'm just interested in buying some and I'm still currently only reasearching them , thanks .

hi I have a few questions ,do you think it possible to only buy one from a pet store ? Can you buy nymphs from a pet store ? can you get hissers from pets at home?

Sorry for all of the questions I'm just interested in buying some and I'm still currently only reasearching them , thanks .

Pets at Home don't sell roaches of any kind sadly. I had to buy mine online because nowhere I could find sells live roaches.

If you want to buy them online then go to roachcrossing.com, I don't think the pet stores will sell them online and if you wanted a certain size and type it would be easier to buy it online as most of the roaches at the pet store are not nymphs but more in the teenage to adult area.