Chorisoneura texensis, Small Yellow Texas Roach.

Hisserdude

Congrats! Can't help you with your question though...

Thanks! That's ok, I think females are a bit wider than the males, still it's gonna be hard telling which is which!

Thanks! That's ok, I think females are a bit wider than the males, still it's gonna be hard telling which is which!

After getting both sexes to adult they will probably be easy for you to tell by just looking at how wide the female's abdomen is compared to the males.

After getting both sexes to adult they will probably be easy for you to tell by just looking at how wide the female's abdomen is compared to the males.

Got it, thanks Happy! :) Just found yet another adult!

Alternatively you can let them crawl on glass and look at the underside. Lol

Yeah but I have a really hard time sexing tiny roaches. My eyesight is pretty crapy, lol! :lol:

When will you post the update on your blog about Polyphaga saussure hisserude? I am looking forward to it!

Alrighty, got that post out for you! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, all adults are mature, now I'm just looking for ootheca. Cariblatta, do you know what conditions the ootheca like? Should I be keeping these guys semi dry like Cariblatta lutea, or should they be kept more moist?

• 5 weeks later...

My females are laying lots of oothecae, mostly on the eggcarton peices in their cage, but a few have been laid on dead leaves and the walls of the enclosure. Hopefully they will hatch soon!

One of the ootheca hatched!!! :D The babies are TINY, like they are only a little bit bigger than the mites in their cage! How am I supposed to provide any sort of ventilation, these guys can get out of any size hole I poke in there! :wacko:

You could use paper towel for ventilation.

I'd be too afraid of it ripping, though I could use some sort of cloth for sure... Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I was thinking on ventilation today. Would canvas work? Should be touch enough but is it breathable enough?

I don't know, I've never tried using it. If you end up trying it, let us know how it works!

Crap man, these guys are getting out, I need a new cage! :o

Oh no! :unsure:

I have springtails in a container and I just put a piece of saran rap over the top and stretch a rubberband around the top and poke some little holes in the saran rap with a toothpick. Might not work though if you have anything bigger than a jar like I have.

Hope you find a solution to the escaping!

Yeah I taped up all the entrances, hopefully that will hold them in until I get a new cage this week. They really like accumulating around the lid, so I'll be making a custom cage design using some of Orin's methods for mantis cages. I'll post pictures of it once it is completed. :)

Yeah I taped up all the entrances, hopefully that will hold them in until I get a new cage this week. They really like accumulating around the lid, so I'll be making a custom cage design using some of Orin's methods for mantis cages. I'll post pictures of it once it is completed. :)

Cool, glad you found a solution!

Cool, glad you found a solution!

Thanks! :) These guys are so cute, wish I could get some pictures of them lol!

• 3 weeks later...

My new cage has been working very well, and I have had no more escapes! These guys are still doing great, and the ootheca keep hatching!

Here are some pretty bad pics of the nymphs, my camera is not so great at getting pictures of tiny bugs:

C.texen9_zpsqfyj5jl2.jpg

C.texen13_zpspchu7eb3.jpg

C.texen10_zpsz5lwttj6.jpg

C.texen12_zpswkewwpdi.jpg

Wow, looks like you are doing great job at rearing this species! If you manage to get them to adult Kyle will worship you :P

Thanks! :D Ha if I'm successful I'll have to change my title to "Chorisoneura King"! :lol: If I'm successful with these I'd like to try breeding some Ectobius species, they seem pretty cool!

• 3 months later...

These guys are getting close to maturing, I think I may see some pre-sub/sub adults in the cage! :)

Here is one of the larger nymphs:

C.texen%25231.JPG

C.texen%25232.JPG

C.texen%25233.JPG

It's official, I have a captive produced adult, the first ever reported! Hopefully more will follow! :D