Hisser fungus/mold

lonelyronin

I have a large colony of hissers, and they have developed a brown fuzzy mold/fungus. I've cleaned out the tank several times, but it always comes back - it's on the bugs, so without scrubbing them individually/bleaching them, I don't have any idea how to get rid of it. It is all over the tank, and is even coming out the top of the lid. It coats the walls, bugs, lid - everything. Any ideas?

Laura

Oh yeah, you have a HUGE population of grain mites. Clean out the cage and the roaches, get rid of any hides you have or sterilize them.

For now on try keeping the cage drier, perhaps add more ventilation, and feed them only as much as they will eat in two days. Overfeeding is the most common cause of mites.

You should also get a cleanup crew if you are noticing a buildup of dead hissers, as mites will feast upon dead roach bodies, especially if they are kept moist.

Hope this helps! :)

I have heard good things about the lesser mealworm beetles, and they can tolerate the dryish conditions hissers like. You will need to put a thin layer of substrate I would think, in order for them to breed well. Coconut fiber would work well.

I think they should be able to ship beetles to Canada, from what I know beetles are pretty legal up there. I may be wrong. Roaches however, are a different story. :(

Another option is predatory mites. You might be able to find those sold in the gardening section if you're lucky.