Hello from a newbie!

Schwick

Hi, you can call me Schwick (just Schwick.) I recently started the bug-keeping hobby and am pretty hooked! My most recent addition is by far my favorite, a "monster" male G. oblongonota I named Schwick. A partner for him is on the way, so I'm joining here to share my experiences and learn some more!

Here is Schwick in his set-up (which will have a few more decor additions along with a female G. oblongonota soon):

bCopT7p.jpg?1

And yes, I know it looks very humid, I over-soaked the coco-fiber disks and am still letting it dry out. He's doing well.

Thanks for having this site and all the members here for sharing their love of roaches!

Hi Schwick, welcome to the forum! :)

Look forward to your posts, hope your gal arrives safe and sound!

FYI, coconut fiber is always soaking wet after expanding, you are actually supposed to let it dry out in the sun, but I always skip that step and just let it dry out in the enclosures.

Hi Schwick, welcome to the forum! :)

Look forward to your posts, hope your gal arrives safe and sound!

FYI, coconut fiber is always soaking wet after expanding, you are actually supposed to let it dry out in the sun, but I always skip that step and just let it dry out in the enclosures.

Thanks!

Yeah, so have I in the past. However, I just found his patch of pillow moss covered by thin, wispy, white "hairs" though. In other words: Mold. Not sure what to do in that situation as I'd like to re-introduce it to the habitat, I just threw it in the freezer... Not even sure why tbh. letting it dry out under my Blue DF Beetles' heat lamp is probably a better idea.

Yah letting it dry out is the better option IMO. Usually my cages get a bit of mold on the decorations for the first week or so, once some springtails get in and start breeding the mold goes away. Isopods help too.

Yah letting it dry out is the better option IMO. Usually my cages get a bit of mold on the decorations for the first week or so, once some springtails get in and start breeding the mold goes away. Isopods help too.

Drying it out now, some dwarf isopods are on their way with my female hisser, so I should be good after this.

Welcome! May your cockroach wishes and caviar dreams come true!

Thanks! :D

Just an update for y'all: Gonna move Schwick to a smaller, more ventilated, container and let his shoebox dry out some.

• 2 weeks later...

welcome! its funny! i just got a pair of wide horns as well. they look identical in color and size to yours! aren't they neat! mine don't even hiss when i pick them up gently. they share a large tote w/ halloween hissers and some large peppered nymphs. they all have their preferred spots in the tote. the wide horns sit on the top of the big pieces of bark.