My Madagascan hissing cockroaches, Gromphadorhina sp. "Hybrid"

Hisserdude

Here are my new Madagascan hissers, I have 5 females, one of which is pregnant. (Thanks again Fortunesone!). These are almost certainly hybrids, so I will be labeling them as such.

Hisser%25231.JPG

Hisser%25232.JPG

Hisser%25233.JPG

Hisser%25234.JPG

Here is a species of mite that is symbiotic with hissers, as far as I know they are completely harmless.

Hissermite%25231.JPG

And here is their cage:

Setup%25237.JPG

Now my username shall no longer be ironic! :P

Awesome! I was concerned with those mites on my G. oblongonota, I contacted Peter Clausen and he told me they were harmless and quite possibly even beneficial!

Love that set-up too!

Thanks! :) Yeah I love the setup, I'm gonna have to move them to a different cage though, the top is not air tight like i thought it was and babies could possibly escape. Getting a new escape proof cage Wednesday, it will be similarly shaped so the setup will look the same.

With a population of springtails, (or alternatively, mites), I have never had a problem with moldy toilet paper rolls. Even without a mini ecosystem, I rarely have problems with mold on cardboard. Plus, I am going to be keeping them pretty dry, too dry for most mold. Cork bark is a little expensive for me, and the rolls seem to do the trick, they are all currently sharing the same roll. :wub: Thank you very much for the suggestion though! :D

Unfortunately, no, all I have are 5 females. And one female looks too dark to be portentosa, I will show pics soon.

Here is the female, she is a bit darker than the others and has markings on her thorax that look like the markings of a G.grandidieri to me.

Hisser%25235.JPG

Hisser%25236.JPG

Hisser%25237.JPG

Hisser%25238.JPG

Yep, she looks preggers alright. :P I like the fake plants you used in the enclosure. Where'd you get em?

Well good, I hope she pops soon! :) I got them at a garage sale, so unfortunately I don't really know where you would buy these. Probably some craft store.

• 1 month later...

One of my females popped! :D Got some pictures of the babies, now I just need to get them online some how.... <_<

As I said in PM congrats! :D Out of curiosity, was there a noticeable gap in the back of her abdomen a few days prior to birth?

Thanks! :) No not that I saw. She was my fattest female, now she is paper thin and so small looking lol! :D

Ah ok cool! I would have to agree that what you've got are hybrids. Especially from the curvature and width of the back and the paper thinness you've described. ^_^

Well the thinness is because she just gave birth, once she eats a bit she should return to a normal thickness. :) But yeah, I'm pretty sure these guys aren't pure, most "portentosa" aren't anymore.