Louisiana roach hunting

Anyone live or had experiance roach hunting in Louisiana? My parents live on the edge of a bayou just south of Lafayette. I went there in September and only found mosquitos and super smelling millipedes. Perhaps the constant spraying of the mosquitos was the reason. Strange how the spray killed everything but. Would there be a better time of year to find some? We were there during a love bug frenzy, that was fun lol.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've never been there myself, but it sounds like a nice place to find some roaches. You have some nice species there, Pseudomops septentrionalis, Panchlora nivea, Ischnoptera deropeltiformis, Euthlastoblatta gemma, Blattela asahinai, etc. A really nice variety of roaches!

Sweet! Sounds like I need to flip over the trash along the road sides? I wasn't into roaches when I was there, I was in frog mode. Looks like I need rubber gloves next time.

I like to use tough gardening gloves. It helps a lot during cold days, too. They don't tear up when I dig through leaf litter. If you are there during the summer time you can maybe catch some Chorisoneura going through dead leaves stuck on living leaves several feet above the ground where you can reach the leaves on sweetgum trees if those are abundant in Louisiana area.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've never been there myself, but it sounds like a nice place to find some roaches. You have some nice species there, Pseudomops septentrionalis, Panchlora nivea, Ischnoptera deropeltiformis, Euthlastoblatta gemma, Blattela asahinai, etc. A really nice variety of roaches!

I live in Denham Springs, LA and I've seen all those you've listed. Some on a regular basis :)

I live in Denham Springs, LA and I've seen all those you've listed. Some on a regular basis :)

Wow, lucky! :D You need to get some more E.gemma into the hobby, are you interested in breeding that species?

Don't forget about Parcoblatta zebra and Parcoblatta divisa!

Yeah, though I would say divisa is fairly rooted in the hobby. I won't be letting them go out of culture at least! ;)

Has anyone ever tried baiting for roaches? I've never tried, but I bet multitudes of species would be attracted to beer and molasses baits. A mixture of wine, yeast, and fruit might also be effective. If anyone lives down South, it'd be interesting if you would tell us what baits attract roaches.

Has anyone ever tried baiting for roaches? I've never tried, but I bet multitudes of species would be attracted to beer and molasses baits. A mixture of wine, yeast, and fruit might also be effective. If anyone lives down South, it'd be interesting if you would tell us what baits attract roaches.

I'll try this. Sounds fun!

I found it, Euthlastoblatta gemma, it looks like a cricket.

Well that's a stretch of the imagination, but whatever floats your boat! :lol: Though now that you mention it, the markings do look a little like a house cricket's markings.

It's a rather hard to breed species, and I don't think anyone has been successful with them yet. If you do want to try to keep them I would make note to observe their natural habitat and try to mimic that in captivity as close as possible.

I always though of them as a kind of cricket because they look so much different than German and American cockroaches. I see them around. I'll note the surroundings next time I see one.

Ah I see, they do look very different from the American and German roaches.

How common are they around you? I have always been under the impression that these were quite rare.

I wouldn't say I see them very much. I never really looked for them either. More in the summer months I have noticed them while weed eating or mowing the grass. I wonder if the ootheca needs a special requirement like mud or 95% humidity for a period. The humidity gets pretty high here often.