Louisiana roach hunting

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I see them very much. I never really looked for them either. More in the summer months I have noticed them while weed eating or mowing the grass. I wonder if the ootheca needs a special requirement like mud or 95% humidity for a period. The humidity gets pretty high here often.

If you see them while mowing the grass occasionally, then I would consider this species kind of common where you are in Florida. But in other states farther north they might be rare.

If you see them while mowing the grass occasionally, then I would consider this species kind of common where you are in Florida. But in other states farther north they might be rare.

He lives in Louisiana, not Florida. :)

Nice! Lots of cool inverts (and vertebrates, verts?) there! FYI, that cockroach nymph with the red backdrop seems to be a Blattella species, possibly one of the non-pest ones. :)

I loved your post on the P. saussurei Hisserdude I also have a request for a post on the P. aegyptiaca

Thanks, glad you liked it! :) Ok, next post can be about my P.aegyptiaca!

Nice! Lots of cool inverts (and vertebrates, verts?) there! FYI, that cockroach nymph with the red backdrop seems to be a Blattella species, possibly one of the non-pest ones. :)

That red backdrop is actually an orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. That dude was fast, so I scooped the surrounding leaves and sticks and threw them in the bucket. I let him go. Too fast to try to keep him lol.

That red backdrop is actually an orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. That dude was fast, so I scooped the surrounding leaves and sticks and threw them in the bucket. I let him go. Too fast to try to keep him lol.

Well it looked red on my kindle, lol! :lol: Yeah when I have to catch a really fast, small invert I just scoop up the ground beneath it and put it in a container, if I tried grabbing the bug itself I'd probably smash it.

Can we get @Hisserdude on the ID here? Very cool little roach. Those two orangey-yellow spots on the pronotum are very pretty. Good find!

Yes you may! :D It is definitely a Parcoblatta nymph, my guess is virginica.

Definitely a parcoblatta nymph, hisserdude's probably right about it being virginica but something doesn't quite seem "right" about it, probably just the picture though.

It does seem a little light colored for a virginica, but it doesn't seem to match any of the other Parcoblatta. It's overall body shape and color resemble virginica the most.

• 4 weeks later...

Found these guys today while looking for millipedes.

thumb_IMG_0787_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0788_1024.jpg

More pics in the Album

The top one seems like one of the Blattella species, looks like B.vaga. The bottom one looks like a Ischnoptera deropeltiformis nymph. Nice finds! :)

• 2 weeks later...