5.5g Hissing roach colony

Hi. I was wondering how many roaches can happily live in a 5.5 gallon aquarium. I already have two and want to breed them. Thanks for your help!

I'd say 5-10 depending on the species. If you want to breed them you might want to go a little bigger.

Edit: I read your post incorrectly. 5-10 hissers, probably a dozen or so adults of most other species. Sterlite bins tend to give the most bang for your buck if you're planning on breeding.

Quite a few I reckon. Roaches don't take up much room, and hissers are ok living in somewhat crowded conditions. A 5.5 gallon tank is a bit small though, if you are going to breed them I would get a bigger plastic bin instead.

I have my javanicas in a 20 gallon high tank and I think the drawback is the glass sides. Even though they can climb them they can't see them. So I think they feel a bit more exposed. I think I will cover the sides and back soon.

Quite a few I reckon. Roaches don't take up much room, and hissers are ok living in somewhat crowded conditions. A 5.5 gallon tank is a bit small though, if you are going to breed them I would get a bigger plastic bin instead.

Thanks Hisserdude! I am getting a large sterilight bin once we move in to our new house. I would only house 6 at a time in the 5.5g as display roaches.

Thanks Hisserdude! I am getting a large sterilight bin once we move in to our new house. I would only house 6 at a time in the 5.5g as display roaches.

OK, 6 hissers in that tank should be just fine. :)

The more places you give them to hide the more you can fit in the enclosure. The increased surface area will be appreciated by the roaches and it can also give you the chance to observe interesting behaviors (especially in the males).