Do roaches need a source of water?

Hi everyone :)

I had a question, I wanted to know if I were to start a colony of roaches would I need a source of water like a little bowl with water in it or water crystals, or would they get enough water from eating fruits and vegetables?

Thanks!

I'm gonna say no. I have never given mine a water bowl, and they all are doing good. Just mist occasionally and keep the substrate moist in species that like it moist, and you should be good. :)

Also I forgot to ask, Eurycotis sp. roaches are supposed to be able to climb over barriers and are supposed to have a good lid, so would a steralite container lid be enough to keep them in?

It depends on what kind of sterilite. Some have better lids than others. Also, if you plan on breeding them, you shouldn't have to worry about lifespan because you'll basically have a constant supply of them. I'd guess they live about a year as adults. And I agree with Hisserdude, in that you don't need to provide water as long as you feed them fruits and vegetables.

I have some containers with the latches, and baby roaches could easily get out from the gap in between the lid and the container. Some lids are more airtight than others, get one that when the lid is closed, it is completely touching the container, not just loosely attached.

Has anyone had any experience with the Gasket seal Steralite containers, they seem to be the tightest I can find, it seems that even the smallest nymphs couldn't get out of this.

Has anyone had any experience with the Gasket seal Steralite containers, they seem to be the tightest I can find, it seems that even the smallest nymphs couldn't get out of this.

I haven't tried them, but if you think they're snug, you're probably fine. A word of caution, never underestimate the space a roach nymph can fit through. It has to be almost air tight to keep nymphs from escaping.

I'm sure it's fine, it is very tight and actually designed to keep out air and moisture. Although the part on the lid that creates the seal is foam, do you think the roaches would try to chew through it?

I'm sure it's fine, it is very tight and actually designed to keep out air and moisture. Although the part on the lid that creates the seal is foam, do you think the roaches would try to chew through it?

I think I have the same container, just got it recently for my hissers, it is from Ziplock, right? If it is that container, you'll be fine, ain't nothing getting out of that! :D

It is called 20 Quart Gasket Box, it is from steralite. You can see it on steralite.com.

I use those same gasket boxes for all my climbing species. They work great, never had an escape. Then again, I've never seen a roach make it past the petroleum jelly. Those containers are definately airtight though, I don't think the tiniest species could squeeze through.

It is called 20 Quart Gasket Box, it is from steralite. You can see it on steralite.com.

That's pretty much what I have, just from a different brand. Very good roach container, nothing is getting out of that!

I agree they dont need water crystals if they have constant access to fruit and veggis but I do it just in case for some of mine and I do see them use it. Some times they sit on top of it to molt in bins that dont have soil. I get my water crystals a lowes its lasted a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have old hissers, at least 3 years old. When younger they did fine with water misting. However now they aren't as good at eating and I put a very shallow water dish with a flat stone so they can drink they get thirsty easily.

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify: yes, they need a source of water. However, they do not need a dish of water. In fact, I would discourage using a dish as you'd end up with drowned nymphs. The best way to provide water IMO is either to spray the sides of the enclosure which allows them to drink from the sides, or (what I do) provide vegetables and fruits that have moisture. That's more than sufficient.

I have used the water crystals, but stopped because they don't seem to like them much. The crystals are also plastic and I don't see any good coming of that.

• 1 year later...