Insect hunting in AZ

Sleepy Lemur

From what I've heard, Tucson is a great place for Arenivaga, so be sure to look for some of those! And about an hour away is Ramsey Canyon, Cochise County, where a Compsodes schwarzi was spotted, that would be a very nice find in my opinion! :)

Set up a light sheet. Big white sheet spread between poles or draped over a car, another sheet on the ground, blacklight or mercury vapor bulb aimed at it. All kinds of flying insects will be attracted, including flying roaches. March may not be the best time for some insects, but I believe that in Arizona it's a good time for moths if you like moths. You might encounter Antheraea oculea. (Desert dwelling cousin of my profile pic.)

A light trap is a great idea, lots of interesting insects will be attracted. Unfortunately, any Arenivaga attracted will all be male, you still have to dig for the females.

Set up a light sheet. Big white sheet spread between poles or draped over a car, another sheet on the ground, blacklight or mercury vapor bulb aimed at it. All kinds of flying insects will be attracted, including flying roaches. March may not be the best time for some insects, but I believe that in Arizona it's a good time for moths if you like moths. You might encounter Antheraea oculea. (Desert dwelling cousin of my profile pic.)

I seen a blog online of someone doing that, I'll definately take a night to try it out. I was planning on taking a small hand shovel to try to dig for roaches around plants and such (without damaging the root systems, and re filling all the holes of course.)

I seen a blog online of someone doing that, I'll definately take a night to try it out. I was planning on taking a small hand shovel to try to dig for roaches around plants and such (without damaging the root systems, and re filling all the holes of course.)

If you are in a sandy dune, a sifter can be helpful for uncovering burrowing roaches.

Hope you find some cool polyphagids out there! :) Arizona is one of the places I really want to visit just because of the sheer number of amazing insect out there! :)