Virginia Wood Roach, Parcoblatta virginica

Hisserdude

I am just really interested in this genus, and a friend has a bunch of Parcoblatta species in his area that he collected for me for free! :) Here in Idaho there is only one native cockroach species, and until recently it was thought that no native species lived here! Thanks to me, that rumor has been debunked, and the species happens to be a Parcoblatta species! (Parcoblatta americana).

They get around 50-60 mm long. I have never bred this species before, so I don't know how fast this species breeds, sorry.

Do you think a 10 gallon glass display cage would be good enough to house them and if so how many could fit in it without overcrowding? Also do the nymphs burrow?

Yes that would be a good sized cage, you could probably fit a lot of them in there, as long as you have a lot of hides. :) Yes nymphs burrow, but the adults are more active I believe.

I've heard blaberus need a vertical surface to molt on so their wings don't get deformed. Is that true?

Well my Blaberus atropos did not have any vertical surfaces and they molted to adulthood with no problems, I think some of the larger Blaberus need vertical surfaces though. Couldn't hurt to give them some vertical space. :)

Ok I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the information and bye the way I love your blog!!!

Alright, good, I wish you luck with whatever you decide to use as a display roach! :) And thanks, glad you like it!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to start a topic?

Sure, go to a topic, say General Blattodea Discussions, and on the righthand side right above all the posts there should be a black button that says Start New Topic. Click on it, and there you go! :)

Another quiestion hisserdude, I am considering buying from Kyle and wanted to know if he is a reliable source for roaches. Also how does the email ordering work is it hard?

Thanks in advanced

Another quiestion hisserdude, I am considering buying from Kyle and wanted to know if he is a reliable source for roaches. Also how does the email ordering work is it hard?

Thanks in advanced

Oh yeah, Kyle is very trustworthy, though he has been busy lately, and it may take him a few days to respond to you. I just ordered from him actually, the package should be coming tomorrow! :D

The emailing process itself is easy, just look on the site, write down what you want and the prices, and email him saying what you want to order. When he contacts you he'll give you the shipping price, which is usually only around $10, less depending on what time of year it is.

Hisserdude what do you use as a barrier for your hissers? I'm thinking about getting some hissers but don't know what to use to keep them in their enclosure.

Hisserdude what do you use as a barrier for your hissers? I'm thinking about getting some hissers but don't know what to use to keep them in their enclosure.

I currently don't use anything to stop them from climbing out, the lid on their cage is extremely tight, ain't nothing getting out of there! :) If I was to use a barrier, I would use Petroleum jelly like I use for my Rhabdoblatta formosana.