Refrigerating B. orientalis...

DonaldJ

The design of my enclosure (http://www.roachforu...?showtopic=6118) requires me to relocate the critters when I clean the enclosure or replace the internal structures. But these little guys are frisky and very quick, which makes their relocation tricky.

Because B. Orientalis are tolerant of cooler temperatures, I decided that a short trip to the refrigerator might slow them down a bit, allowing easier handling. After 5 minutes they were still active, but after ten they were completely immoblile. They recovered completely after a minute or so at room temperature. If they were cooled for twelve minutes it took them about four minutes to recover.

In both cases they have shown no ill effects; they are as active and speedy as they have ever been, and no changes in behavior have been noticed. Long-term effects are unknown but they are much easier to relocate, and it should make it easier when it comes time to separate the males from the females.

This process could be fatal for any species that require warmer temperatures, so please be aware of the risk.

Thanks that could be an effective technique for many frisky climbers. As a fun side note my apartment has a minor infestation of b orientalis and I have seen them get into my fridge many times. They also venture into the freezer but dont fair so well. I have started putting rotting fruit in the freezer to use as a passive trap. They are lovely lil guys but my wifes not a fan of them running around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now it takes more than 30 minutes in the fridge to immobilize the little guys; even then there is a little movement. It's taking longer and longer.

Then I read this little fun fact in the book, Cockroaches ECOLOGY, BEHAVIOR, AND NATURAL HISTORY (William J. Bell, Louis M. Roth, Christine A. Nalepa):

In the United Kingdom and most of Western Europe, Blatta orientalis can survive normal winters outdoors provided it can avoid short-term extremes of temperature by choosing suitable harborage such as sewers, culverts, and loose soil (le

Patourel, 1993).

That got me wondering...it takes about a year for B. Orientalis to reach sexual maturity. Do they require a period of cold temperature for optimal development?