Wild Pupa Hatch

Hi everybody!

One of my three wild beetle pupae hatched and it turned out to be a Pelidnota punctate( Grapevine beetle). That means my other 2 pupae should be grapevines too because I found them close together under the same rotten log in my yard. It looks beautiful, and will look even more beautiful once it gains it's full coloration! Does anyone know if these will eat beetle jellies and if they can be kept together?

I found one of these once but only kept it for a night as I had no appropriate food for it. It was very active. Hope they do well for you.

Thank you. :) The one that hatched seems to be a female, so I hope one of the 2 pupae I have left are male so I can possibly breed them.

I found a few adults of these last summer, but was unsure of how to keep them, so I re-released them. Good luck with them!

Thanks! :) If you ever find any again and want to keep them, the larvae should have a substrate of rotten wood, dirt or compost soil, and crushed up dead leaves. The adults I believe eat beetle jellies and should have a semi deep( at leas a couple inches) substrate of dirt or compost soil.

Yes, but on Bugguide it says they eat grape foliage and fruit. I conversed with Peter and he said foliage is recommended, I think they may be able to just eat fruit and jellies. They do eat jellies, just can't be sustained with them, is what I meant.

I believe they will eat beetle jellies as well though.

• 2 weeks later...

All three of my grapevine beetle larvae have now hatched and turned it healthy grapevine beetles! We purchased some grapevines for them and just have to wait a until Friday or Monday to get them.