Wild Springtails

Hi Everyone! :)

I recently had my final grapevine beetle pupa hatch ,so know I just have a container with dirt rotten wood and dead leaves in it. I noticed a lot of springtails running through the substrate, and wanted to know if these wild ones would be okay to put in a roach colony? I just didn't know if wild ones could harbor any parasites or anything that would harm the roaches.

Thanks!

That's how a lot of people end up getting springtails, so I wouldn't worry about them. You should be able to introduce them to your roach enclosure without any problems. :)

That's how a lot of people end up getting springtails, so I wouldn't worry about them. You should be able to introduce them to your roach enclosure without any problems. :)

How do you recommend I would get them in the colony though because wouldn't it be kind of risky to put some of the substrate in the container? Would I have to get them out individually?

I got all of the stuff for the substrate from outside so I think there's a pretty good chance there would be some pests in it.

How do you recommend I would get them in the colony though because wouldn't it be kind of risky to put some of the substrate in the container? Would I have to get them out individually?

I got all of the stuff for the substrate from outside so I think there's a pretty good chance there would be some pests in it.

Try putting a piece of bark in with the springtails, they'll cling onto it and you can then sprinkle them into the cage.

Try putting a piece of bark in with the springtails, they'll cling onto it and you can then sprinkle them into the cage.

Thanks! :) That's a really good idea, I'll try that.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting the springtails into the enclosure is proving to be a lot harder than I originaly though. Do you guys think it would be too risky to get a small bit of dirt with the springtails in it and mix it into the substrate in my roach enclosure? The dirt is from outside by the way.

Getting the springtails into the enclosure is proving to be a lot harder than I originaly though. Do you guys think it would be too risky to get a small bit of dirt with the springtails in it and mix it into the substrate in my roach enclosure? The dirt is from outside by the way.

Put some yeast, oatmeal or other food on the piece of bark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...